Old 03-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

Portable Water Pump - Mods

We do lots of camping in State Parks where there is no water hook-ups. I bought a small AC pump from Lowe's and want to Mod it with a PVC suction line to put into the plastic water containers that we lug from any water supply available. The water hose line just coils around in the tanks and isn't very efficient. Getting too old to hold these water jugs up to empty into the trailer.

Anyone out there that has done something like this? Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Not really sure, but I think you are saying the problem is the suction hose you put into the portable container does not got to the bottom, but coils around. Get a piece of PVC the height of the water jug and add a fitting on one end that has a barbed hose connector ( may need a few pieces to make this adapter) and connect to the siphon end of the hose.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #3

Do you have an antifreeze inlet and outside shower? If so I've seen several threads where people have drawn water from the water container into the inlet and with all interior faucets shut have used the outside shower hose to fill the FWT. Can't seem to locate the threads at the moment.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

Flybob that is the problem, the hose just coils around the container. And your suggestion is exactly what I was thinking about doing.

CNYCamper, thanks for the tip, not sure exactly how the outside shower would draw water into the tank but I'll search around to see.

Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
Flybob that is the problem, the hose just coils around the container. And your suggestion is exactly what I was thinking about doing.

CNYCamper, thanks for the tip, not sure exactly how the outside shower would draw water into the tank but I'll search around to see.

Thanks again.

They use the onboard water pump to pump from their container, just like you would when winterizing. So container to antifreeze inlet to water pump to outside shower to coupler (that replaces the shower head) to fresh water tank fill.

Personally, I just carry a $3 drill pump I picked up at Princess Auto. It sucks, but it gets the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #6

When I winterize I just put the antifreeze in the fresh water tank then open the faucets and run the pump in the camper. I don't have an antifreeze inlet.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Portable water pump

Hi NJLOAD,

Since a neck fusion I had to come up with a better way than the 5 gallon collapsible containers, and as you said, holding them up while they slowly fill the fresh tank. I anchored down two 30 Gallon BPA free barrels in the back of my truck, against the cab, plumbed them together with a feed to the back of the truck, using 3/4" Pex (no coiling) I put a shut off valve and a garden hose fitting right at the tail gate. Ran a 12 Volt receptacle to the same spot, at the tail gate to fire up the portable pump.

I purchased a replacement 12 volt water pump that would work in the Casita, in case or perhaps when, that pump goes bad. Until then, I simply connect the garden hose fitting up to the portable pump, and to the 12 V receptacle at the back of the truck, with the other end feeding in to the fresh tank. With no effort, we can re-fill the 25 gallon fresh tank twice as we do not completely fill the 30 gallon barrels...too much weight.

To fill the tanks before our trip, we simply hook up the garden hose to the house, open the valve in the truck and let her fly, it fills both barrels simultaneously.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #8

Nice idea on the Pex. I was thinking of using that and putting a shut off valve on the suction end to hopefully keep the pump primed between my 6 gallon portable tanks. As the weather gets better here in NJ I'll be venturing out and putting things together.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #9

I'd return the 110 pump and get a spare water pump for your unit. Set it up with hoses to suck water and a hose connection to your fresh water fill and you'll always be able to full the water tank. As mentioned, if your water pump ever fails, you'll also have a spare.

I've needed to fill my tank a couple of times from jugs and did it using the winterizing port. I run a hose from the fresh water fill port to the bathroom sink where it's attached to the faucet with an adapter that replaces the aerator. I set the valves to winterize and when I open the cold side of the bathroom faucet, water flows from the jug through the water system then out to the fill port. If you have an outside shower, you can use that and not have to run a hose from inside the rv.

Phil
Old 03-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #10
Site Team

You can easily add an antifreeze inlet for $20 and 30 mins time, It will make de-winterizing much easier as it is difficult to get the antifreeze completely out of FW tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
When I winterize I just put the antifreeze in the fresh water tank then open the faucets and run the pump in the camper. I don't have an antifreeze inlet.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump, modifications