Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

Portable water softeners?

After spending 6 months in one campsite last year, I noticed a large build up of scale in the connections at the water pedestal. Does anyone use a portable water softener and which ones are recommended?
kssportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #2

I have good water at home and want it in my 5er. I got mine on sale at camping world. It is great. Less scale in the hot water tank. My setup is --portable filter on hose, then to softner, then goes through all unit main filter. This gives me really good water.
tkmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Team

you beat me to posting on water softeners.

kssportsman, glad you made this post as Ive been looking for a water softener.
There are several different types to choose from. Thought I read somewhere that some softener units are made cheap and have parts that break easy?!

Dont wanna break the bank here, something user friendly and on the quality side.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #4

Just ordered a portable softener from Camping World. Doesn't require electricity some will have to manually regenerate it. $269 with free shipping. Looked a small home system for $500, required electricity and plumbing. Decided to try the cheaper way first.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #5

We purchased ours at an RV show a couple years ago. I think about $200 for 8,000 gallon. Uses cheap table salt to regenerate - just be sure to do the regeneration where there is no vegetation (unless you want it dead). One requirement we had was for brass fittings where hoses connect. A lot of the ones we had looked at had plastic which would break very easily.

We are full timers right now which is why we wanted the larger unit
Allzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allzright View Post
We purchased ours at an RV show a couple years ago. I think about $200 for 8,000 gallon. Uses cheap table salt to regenerate - just be sure to do the regeneration where there is no vegetation (unless you want it dead). One requirement we had was for brass fittings where hoses connect. A lot of the ones we had looked at had plastic which would break very easily.

We are full timers right now which is why we wanted the larger unit
What model / brand did you go with?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #7

On the go double, 16000 grains. Supposed to go 30 to 40 days between regens
Old 01-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kssportsman View Post
On the go double, 16000 grains. Supposed to go 30 to 40 days between regens
Depends on the water hardness. City water is usually around 7 to 10 grains while well water is all over the place but typically 30 in my area. Divide the hardness (grains) into the capacity to get the gallons of water you can expect to treat (soften). So if you have a 16,000 grain unit and 10 grains of hardness you can expect 1,600 gallons of soft water between regenerations. Units will become less efficient with use and any iron in the water will reduce the expected gallons as well.

John
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #9

The "On-The-Go" Portable Water Softener system
On The Go® | Portable Water Softeners
We've had ours for 4 years now and it works perfectly. Easily recharged with 1lb of table salt. Really makes a difference in washing dishes, showers...
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm intrigued with this thread and have been thinking about a softener for a while, more so now since I have an on board w/d but mostly because of the females with long hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #11

Last year we purchased the Mark 8000 from FlowPur. https://www.flowpur.com/html/mark_8000.html. Having lived with water softeners for most of my life this is a fairly simple to use well made system. The connectors are nylon and are fairly rugged. We used it for two weeks last year while in Texas where the water is fairly hard. You use a box of table salt when it is time to regenerate. It made a big difference in the quality of the water. Check them out.
PlainsTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #12

The Mark 8000 you speak of and the FlowPur unit are offered each year at the August Frog Rally at the Forest River Electronics booth. They have always been below $200. Remember, if you get the 16000 grain unit, it will be about 70#. (Once the resin is wet, it holds water and is very heavy.)

Tags
water