Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Pressure water plumbing issues

A rotten critter of some kind has apparently gotten into my TT and eaten a large hole in the braided water line that runs from the fresh water tank to the pressure pump. The hole is not to big an issue, repair should be easy. Here, however, is my problem. With the pump turned off and no outside water source connected to the TT, no water comes out of any of the faucets when open; this, of course, is normal and correct. How, however, when I turn on the pressure water pump (the one with the hole in the suction line) I have good water flow at all faucets, toilet, etc. My question is, how is the water getting from the fresh water tank to the pump? There is no water in the line from the tank to the pump nor is there any water coming out of the hole in that line! I'm puzzled, any help would be appreciated.
The TT is a 2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293RKSS.
I tried to attach a pic but it didn't work, sorry.



oceanprey
__________________

oceanprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Western PA
Posts: 369
Just because it doesn't leak doesn't mean it won't still draw water. The hole in the suction side will draw air into the line but is probably still able to draw water as well depending on the size of the hole. Suction side works like a vacuum. Water can draw past that hole without leaking.
__________________

__________________
Cut it 3 times and it's still too short...

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 6,153
A picture of the offending line would help, but are you sure it's the pump suction that has the hole in it and not a vent or overflow line? Also, could it be that the hole isn't completely through the tubing and just the outer cover is chewed into?
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
Just because it doesn't leak doesn't mean it won't still draw water. The hole in the suction side will draw air into the line but is probably still able to draw water as well depending on the size of the hole. Suction side works like a vacuum. Water can draw past that hole without leaking.
I don't believe this to be true. If there is just the slightest air leak on the suction side, the pump won't suck water.

As Bama said... are you SURE it is the feed hose to the pump from the fresh tank?
Maybe it is the overflow line?
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Water Line Problem

Really appreciate all the input. I'm going to try to include a picture of the water line. My TT uses a pretty standard 12V pressure pump; one water line in and one water line out. The damaged line is the intake, or vacuum line. I have watched this line with the pump running and water flowing out of the sink faucet and there is no water at all in the intake line. It's very strange.


oceanprey
oceanprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanprey View Post
Really appreciate all the input. I'm going to try to include a picture of the water line. My TT uses a pretty standard 12V pressure pump; one water line in and one water line out. The damaged line is the intake, or vacuum line. I have watched this line with the pump running and water flowing out of the sink faucet and there is no water at all in the intake line. It's very strange.


oceanprey
Strange indeed!
I've never seen a pump produce its own supply of water.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Water Line Problem

Well, so much for the picture. I'll try again. The hole in the water line is almost all the way through the line and about 1 and 1/2 inches long.


oceanprey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Line in TT.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	193342  
oceanprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanprey View Post
Well, so much for the picture. I'll try again. The hole in the water line is almost all the way through the line and about 1 and 1/2 inches long.


oceanprey
Well if that line that is chewed goes directly on the intake of the pump. (we can't see with 100% certainty as the wood is in the way) there is no way the pump is producing the water coming out of the faucet. These systems are not magic.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Adrian Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Well if that line that is chewed goes directly on the intake of the pump. (we can't see with 100% certainty as the wood is in the way) there is no way the pump is producing the water coming out of the faucet. These systems are not magic.
What he said!!!
If there is no water in the line to the inlet side of the pump, there is no water coming out the outlet side. Are you certain you're not hooked up to city water?
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 6,153
My bet is that line is the antifreeze suction and there's a three way valve just out of site behind the vertical frame in the picture.
__________________

__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
plumbing, pressure, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.