Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Probable pump problem with pix.

Hello,
I had planned to install a water pump converter kit (for winterization) today but quickly realized I had no slack in the line coming from the fresh water tank. I contemplated remounting the pump but the outlet hose on the other side is already hard against the water filter housing. So it seems I will need to extend one of the lines or cap off the converter on the intake side (and reattach the tank line in the spring). Is this type of hose and hardware readily available?
I really don't want to move the pump as it is very awkwardly placed for an individual of my size and age. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #2

If you are asking about the white fresh water hose, yes they are available at most any home improvmenet store or RV shop. As for the clamps they look like a swedged type that may not be reuseable (hard to tell by the pic), you can get a standard worm gear clamp to replace it.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If u bought the right kit u don't need to move anything.
The tee goes in between pump and hose
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #4

I don't see a problem there. The bypass kit should have a valve that when selected will either pick up water from the tank or from the attached hose in the anti freeze bottle. You will probably have to cut the existing inlet line and add the valve, so in reality you will have more slack in the pickup hose.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

The top white hose is the intake from the freshwater tank. It is taut enough now that I believe once it attach the converter/bypass valve to the pump (1 1/2") and reattach the line it will kink the line. I think it would be easier to extend the freshwater line .
Old 10-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
The top white hose is the intake from the freshwater tank. It is taut enough now that I believe once it attach the converter/bypass valve to the pump (1 1/2") and reattach the line it will kink the line. I think it would be easier to extend the freshwater line .
You will probably have to cut the existing inlet line and add the valve, so in reality you will have more slack in the pickup hose.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #7

I hope I'm not being confusing but I probably am. The kit I obtained is design to be mounted on the pump (at least by the illustration on the package). Since this would be on the left hand (intake) side of the pump it would stretch the freshwater line coming over the top from the right when that line is reattached. The antifreeze port is on top of the valve. Out of the picture (on the right) is the assorted plumbing from the city water and feeds into the filter which cramp the hose on the output side of the pump.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #8

OK, now I understand. Most kits are designed to be cut into the inlet side. Might go back and look to see if there is a kit that way. If so, trade it. If not, then you will need a pump inlet 90degree elbow.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #9

Thanks to all for the input. I'll have to see if I can find the necessary pieces and parts locally to make this project work. This forum is a great resource!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
Hello,
I had planned to install a water pump converter kit (for winterization) today but quickly realized I had no slack in the line coming from the fresh water tank. I contemplated remounting the pump but the outlet hose on the other side is already hard against the water filter housing. So it seems I will need to extend one of the lines or cap off the converter on the intake side (and reattach the tank line in the spring). Is this type of hose and hardware readily available?
I really don't want to move the pump as it is very awkwardly placed for an individual of my size and age. Thanks.
I see by your pic that you will have to remove the small strainer to clean it also while in there to winterize,probably remove water filter as well. I have found that the hole diameter in the brass valve in the winterizing kits is VERY small,thus restricting the suction side of the pump. I just remove the suction side hose and put on a screw on hose to place in a antifreeze jug,then screw the original fitting suction assy.back on the pump. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I see by your pic that you will have to remove the small strainer to clean it also while in there to winterize,probably remove water filter as well. I have found that the hole diameter in the brass valve in the winterizing kits is VERY small,thus restricting the suction side of the pump. I just remove the suction side hose and put on a screw on hose to place in a antifreeze jug,then screw the original fitting suction assy.back on the pump. Youroo!!

You are correct, I noticed the small port size when I was working with the valve. I had originally planned to simply blow the lines in the trailer for the winter but noticed water was still present in the strainer after doing so. So I bought the valve and realized what a pain it would be to install along with the strainer, (and having to lengthen the fresh water intake hose) so I will use the valve to winterize and then replace the original setup in the spring. Maybe I will pull the pump then and reassemble the whole thing on my workbench where I can actually get at it and see what I am doing.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
dap

I have a 2604 with the same setup.Went to Home Depot and bought. 2 1/2 inch barbed fittings that screw onto the valve,cut the hose where convenient and inserted valve.You will also need two hose clamps.
Suction is not a problem,flows strong at faucet.
dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
I have a 2604 with the same setup.Went to Home Depot and bought. 2 1/2 inch barbed fittings that screw onto the valve,cut the hose where convenient and inserted valve.You will also need two hose clamps.
Suction is not a problem,flows strong at faucet.
I like the idea of mounting the valve inline. It would be easier to install and would eliminate the need to remove the strainer from the side of the pump. Plus, it would lengthen the fresh water intake hose which was my original concern. Anyone know the pump port thread sizes?