Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Propane to quick connect In rear of trailer

I have a 2011 269bhs chaparral 5th wheel. We have a outdoor kitchen in the back. There is a quick connect propane value back there for the grill. The problem is it won't keep a grill lit. It runs very low and won't cook anything. We contacted the dealer and they said it is meant for larger grills but that doesn't make any sense nor does a larger grill work either. Any thoughts on how I can fix this myself since the dealer has been no help. The water heater, heat, and stove inside all work great....
Gfulkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
B47

G - I'm afraid can't be much help here except to say we have a 2012 Simverback 29rk with the rear kitchen (2 burners) with the propane quick disconnect and it works fine with both burners running at max settings.

You could possibly have a small leak either in the hard line running from the tanks or your quick disconnect fitting could have a small leak also. Look at your propane tank (s) fittings for leaks also.

Also - do you have an adquate amount of propane in your tank (s) to run both burners?

If the other propane appliances as you say, I would look for a small leak in the supply line in the hard line or your flexible line connected to the grill.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Thanks, for the help. There's a hard line running from front to back splitting under the stove and continuing on to the rear. I am going to have to check for leaks or blockages....thanks again...at least I know they can work!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #4

I don't know if this helps or not, but on the quick disconnect on my Sabre, there is a small lever under the quick disconnect that actually controls a valve. Please don't ask me how I found out that this was a valve control
On mine, the lever needs to be inline with the quick disconnet, if it is cross ways to the valve, it is in the off position and no propane will flow through the disconnect.

HTH
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #5

Wow, never would of thought to check under it! Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #6

Nope, will not work if you're using a grill (such as the Coleman Road Trip) that didn't come with your Chapparal. If you have adapted a propane hose from the quick disconnect to the "regulator" that came with the grill, it wont work. You see,.....because the lines running to all the interior appliances (and line going to the quict disconnect) are already regulated down at the tanks, hooking a line to another regulator won't work. The pressure will be too low to sustain a flame. BTW, I'm still trying to find the fittings to eliminate the regulator on my Coleman so I too can use the QD on my TT.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
B47

G -sorry I didn't mention the valve under the trailer where the flex line connects to the hard line. Like any other in -line valve, the handle of the valve must be in line with the line it is connected to - with the valve handle perticalic(sp) to the line shut fully, the valve is closed.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #8

Regulator

I was able to find hoses with the correct ends to eliminate the regulator on my grill. It still seems to not burn quite as hot as with the original regulator and a separate tank, but it burns hot enough to get the job done.
JDWeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Nope, will not work if you're using a grill (such as the Coleman Road Trip) that didn't come with your Chapparal. If you have adapted a propane hose from the quick disconnect to the "regulator" that came with the grill, it wont work. You see,.....because the lines running to all the interior appliances (and line going to the quict disconnect) are already regulated down at the tanks, hooking a line to another regulator won't work. The pressure will be too low to sustain a flame. BTW, I'm still trying to find the fittings to eliminate the regulator on my Coleman so I too can use the QD on my TT.
rracer5 - you are correct here if the grill is an add-on. I assumed from reading his post that the grill came with the unit from the factory.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #10

I have tried both grills. The one that came with the unit and my Coleman road mate. Neither work. What I don't get is my stove inside can be regulated at the stove, but my grill in the back can't. They are run off the same hard line after the regulator in the tanks....why would they put a quick connect if you cant use? Oh man, if only everything worked the way it should! Thank you to everyone and if I find a solution I will be use to post
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #11

I had an issue 2 months after I got my 5th wheel with the frig not working on propane. I took it back in and they found a piece of styrofoam in the propane line that stopped the frig from working. If you are not double regulated and you know the valve right before the QD is on, this might be another possible check.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I had an rvq grill that came with my flagstaff years ago and here was the
Problem with it.
The male connection fitting was the low point of the grill
And when you set the grill on the ground or put it away the
Fitting had a chance of getting Foriegn objects in it.
I always had to check it to make sure nothing
Was obstructing it.
With that being said it never ever had a real grill flame
I think it was restricted to a low flame for a reason
we mostly used it for keeping things warm or cooking quick
foods such as hot dogs hamburgers or baked tators.
we also used it for doing sweet corn since it was such low heat.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote