Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #1

Pump grunt

Hi all,
My wife and I just bought our first pop up, its a 2006 Rockwood Freedom 1640 w/ an 8 foot box. We went on a 7 day tent camping trip with our two year old last year and decided we weren't doing that again....
We haven't even taken the pop up out yet as I'm still getting familiar with all the systems. I don't even know what I don't know yet.

Soooo, here's my first (of many) questions.
The water pump continues to 'grunt' continuously after the water has been shut off. I've checked up and down the line but I can't seem to find any leaks (air or water). I've tightened down all the hose clamps that I can get at.
Any idea what the issue may be?

Thanks in advance
D Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #2

Is the tank full?
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #3

Yup. Clear full.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #4

Could be a diaphram problem. Check out pump manufacturer WEB site.

Ray
seatosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #5

I replaced the small mini pump on my flagstaff for a full size model. What I done also was a big improvement. I installed a mini electric water heater that was installed under a seat. It contailn aprx 2 gallons and the system was hoocked up on the water system. A bigger full size pump was needed but what a change to have hot water in a tent trailer. If your pump is in need for replacement I would go for a full size one. The price is very small between the 2 models.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #6

Mine did that with the water filter installed but not if the filter was out of the housing. I think the filter traps significant air in it. I solved the problem by turning of the pump between uses. Simple I know, but effective.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

Air in your hot water tank?
Swinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Here's the latest.
We don't have a water heater.
There appears to be some sort of plastic filter or valve of some sort directly after the water pump on the way to the sink. I'm wondering what that is and if it may be part of the problem. I can't get at it easily so I haven't taken it apart yet. Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #9

Well, I'm learning all sorts of things. I now know what a check valve is, looks like and how it works. Unfortunately is wasn't the problem. I think it's the pump itself. Should I replace it ($50-75) or is it possible/worthwhile to get a rebuild kit? I'm probably just going to turn the switch on and off in the mean time. Thanks