Old 07-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
Pump losing prime and Water Heater emptying

Getting ready for 10 week adventure and having water pump issues. I added water to my fresh water tank, turned pump on and it ran forever without getting prime. Easy fix, just buy new pump right? NOT. I installed new pump and it seemed to take forever to prime. I am thinking because it had to fill the water heater tank. Once filled water pressure was good and I patted myself on the back for doing a such a good job.

This morning I eagerly get up to test my work and sure enough, no prime. It sounds like the pump is struggling to fill the hot water tank again.

I see no leaks anywhere. The valves all appear to be in correct position. What could cause the water heater to drain over night?

Thanks for any help.

Mark and Joanne
2014 Fun Finder XT 276
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost 4X4 SCrew Max Tow
2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
In a perfect world the system would self purge/prime. If the pump is not receiving water due to air in the lines it will continue to churn air. The pump will pump water very well, air not so much. You must allow an outlet for that air so water can enter the pump. On our rig I turn on a faucet (cold and hot) and then turn on the pump. This allows air, which tends to enter the supply tubing when the system is off, to escape. You will probably see sputtering, air previously trapped in the lines, and finally a steady stream of water out of the faucet.

*This is assuming the system has no blockages.

pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
If there is no leak the only thing I can think of is the new pump has a bad check valve. Let us know what you find. Good Luck
Tommy and Wanda
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2014 F-150 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost Max Towing
Intergraded Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Site Team
Probably dumb question, but did you check to insure that winterizing valve is closed tightly?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Perhaps the water heater was never filled to capacity to begin with. You may have air remaining in the top of the tank. Open the relief valve until you get water coming out of it and that should remedy the problem.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS
2011 F-150 Super Crew XLT
Days camped in 2014 - 23
Camped 2015 - 47
Camped 2016 - 51 done - 6 more planned so far
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
So as it turns out I had a multitude of issues. The tank gauge, of course, was incorrect and I had less water than I thought. The hose clamp on the bottom of the tank was leaking, so the tank got even lower.

And to make matters worse, the tank inlet hose was crimped so not as much water was going in as I thought. How is that for craftmanship?

So, I think I got it. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	82976  
Mark and Joanne
2014 Fun Finder XT 276
Old 07-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Yikes. How about no QC at all.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Yikes. How about no QC at all.
shows you that other non-FR manufacturers, like Fun Finder, have bad QC also.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
It doesn't matter what brand, it's all the same. I just feel bad for people who can't work on them themselves.
Mark and Joanne
2014 Fun Finder XT 276
Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
When I saw the OP I thought maybe someone else was sharing our problem, but I guess not. Here is what I have going on.

The pump (4 chamber revolution) in our 2013 Sabre has had an intermittent prime problem from day one. Most of the time, it worked fine, but some times the pump would lose it's prime and never get it back unless I manually forced water into the chamber.

I took the pump into the dealer when it was in failed mode and he confirmed that it would not prime on it's own. They sent it back to FR, but , when they got it, the pump worked ok so they returned it. I put it back in and worked ok until it was time to winterize then it lost its prime again.

It continued to miss behave into next spring and summer so I decided to call in the big guns....I put it on my Goshen Rally service List. When rally time came around, they just gave me a new pump. I thought the problem would be solved but it wasn't the case.

I'm now convinced that I am plagued by some sort of weird plumbing problem that no one at FR or dealer can my work around was to move the pump to a much more accessible location. Now when it fails to prime, all I have to do is bang the pump head a few times with the back of my hand (dislodging an air pocket I presume) and off she goes.

btw. I've temporarily swapped both the orig. and replacement pumps with an old "whisper King" shurflo pump I keep as a spare and it has never failed to prime. I would just leave that one in, but the flow rate is too low for our needs (1.8 gpm)

I've pretty much given up on a permanent fix, but I'd be curious what others might have to say.

Cathy & Jeff
Midland, Michigan
2013 Sabre 32RCTS / 2012 Ram2500 Hemi
Nights Camped: 2015-140; 2016-137 YTD; 160 Planned
SimchaSabre is online now   Reply With Quote

heater, pump, water, water heater