Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #1

pump pressure vs city water pressure

I'm sure that this topic has been beaten to death but please bear with me...

When we are at our regular campground with "city" water, we have really low water pressure. I always use the non-adjustable water pressure regulator on the hose right at the supply tap. Take the trailer out to a different park where we use our fresh water tank and pump and we get much better pressure. We have an Oxygenetix shower head, which works great on the 12 volt pump, but lousy on city water. Trailer has all around crappy pressure when on "city" water with the regulator.

Question is, has anyone replaced the preset regulator with a variable one while on city pressure and has it helped? Perhaps bumping the pressure up to 50-55 psi?

If so, what do you think of this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...rra+A01-1117VP
Old 08-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If the pressure is that low with a fixed regulator on, chances are the park has low water pressure.

And if the park pressure is already low, you can't turn it up any higher than it already is!

Try it without the regulator at that park and it will probably just about right.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

I've stayed in parks where the pressure is lower than the shutoff pressure for the pump. If you leave your pump turned on while hooked to the park's "City Water" your tank will eventually be pumped dry. Found that out by accident. Couldn't figure out why my tank was almost empty when I'd filled it at home and had been hooked to city water whenever I used water. (No, my tank doesn't siphon itself dry on the road, my vent is at the same level as the fill and both are 2 feet above the tank).

In the case where the water pressure is too low for a good shower, just fill the water tank and then turn on the pump when showering. Then add water to the tank as necessary.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #4

I've never used one and never had any issues... I think all RVs today are manufactured with plumbing that can easily handle up to 100 to 110 psi with no issues... some of the 'old school' concerns are probably well in the past... unless you're traveling in a '70s or earlier model! : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #5

I will get shot but I stopped putting a water regulator in the water line a year ago. Better pressure, maybe 40 campgrounds so far, and no issues other than better water pressure.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

The standard OEM pump is about 55psi at shower flow rate. The city water pressure is unknown and varies with demand (are the sprinklers running?) So I have a rainbird (irrigation) gauge. Screw it on the tap and read the number. Now I know. If the city water pressure is over 70 psi I put a regulator on just in case my reading was at a heavy usage period. It just is what it is. YMMV
Old 08-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I've never used one and never had any issues... I think all RVs today are manufactured with plumbing that can easily handle up to 100 to 110 psi with no issues... some of the 'old school' concerns are probably well in the past... unless you're traveling in a '70s or earlier model! : )
They may be built with plumbing components that can handle 100 psi, but based on my observation I doubt the assembly of those components could handle it. Not to mention the extremely low end fixtures made out of plastic they love to use.

I will turn the faucet on at the campground before I hook up, if it sprays out hard, I use an adjustable pressure regulator. Otherwise I will forgo the pressure regulator. One campground we stay at on occasion the flow is so low it can barely overcome the back pressure caused by the inline filter. At that one we fill the tank and use the water pump.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If the pressure is that low with a fixed regulator on, chances are the park has low water pressure.

And if the park pressure is already low, you can't turn it up any higher than it already is!

Try it without the regulator at that park and it will probably just about right.
I have a second hose (on the same water line) that is used for washing the trailer and it has loads of pressure and volume, so I dont believe that its park water pressure. I will temporarily remove the inline regulator to see how much of an improvement I get.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
Coach

We switched to an adjustable regulator with pressure gauge for this reason. We had a non adjustable "55psi" regulator. It seemed to work by knocking pressure down 10-20 psi no matter what the incoming pressure was. A pain at low pressure sites. Yielded the exact same problem you're having. The adjustable we can see what we have on arrival and adjust accordingly.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
I'm sure that this topic has been beaten to death but please bear with me...

When we are at our regular campground with "city" water, we have really low water pressure. I always use the non-adjustable water pressure regulator on the hose right at the supply tap. Take the trailer out to a different park where we use our fresh water tank and pump and we get much better pressure. We have an Oxygenetix shower head, which works great on the 12 volt pump, but lousy on city water. Trailer has all around crappy pressure when on "city" water with the regulator.

Question is, has anyone replaced the preset regulator with a variable one while on city pressure and has it helped? Perhaps bumping the pressure up to 50-55 psi?

If so, what do you think of this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...rra+A01-1117VP
I just went with an adjustable. I could see a big difference. I boosted pressure to 50 and it works pretty good now. Much better than fixed at same CG.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #11

My adjustable was hard to maintain a setting. There are 40 psi and 55 psi presets. I got a 55 psi preset and it works great everywhere.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #12

X2 on a adjustable pressure regulators. I started using one this year.. I set it to 65lbs and most of the time the water pressure is fine.. If I'm at a low pressure site I fill my freshwater and turn on the pump.. DW is happy and I'm happy.
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

I believe most onboard water pumps are set to 60psi. I use a adjustable pressure regulator set to 40psi on my city water. The reason why is a design flaw in the rim of the toilet. With the regulator set to 43psi the water from 3 of the rim holes shoots over the rim and onto the floor. The water shoots out into the hall when I use the water pump for winterizing.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I believe most onboard water pumps are set to 60psi. I use a adjustable pressure regulator set to 40psi on my city water. The reason why is a design flaw in the rim of the toilet. With the regulator set to 43psi the water from 3 of the rim holes shoots over the rim and onto the floor. The water shoots out into the hall when I use the water pump for winterizing.
You sure you have a toilet and not a bidet

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #15

Great ideas here! I have been using a pre-set water pressure regulator, but I just sent for an adjustable water pressure regulator and gauge so I can set the pressure as I wish. How cool is that?

We camped at a friend's winery before we were consistently using a water pressure regulator and hooked up to his water system. After a few hours we had wet carpets in the RV and leaks everywhere. Found out they keep their water pressure about 120 PSI for irrigation. Surprised it didn't burst my pipes and hoses.

Won't do that again.

Larry

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #16

It's been said before, but the fixed regulators are really flow restrictors. They have a smaller ID limiting the amount of water.
I used mine once, at a CG where I had not used a regulator in the past. Barely had enough flow to fill the coffee pot.
Pitched it and bought a full flow adjustable regulator. All the water flow at a safe 45psi. No complaints.
Full flow is the key.
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #17

Quote:
At a seminar that was part of the Goshen rally, one of the FR guys said that FR is considering making pressure regulators standard equipment. I can't say if they are doing it since many (most?) folks buy and use one or if they think using one is a good practice.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You sure you have a toilet and not a bidet

A poorly designed one if it is as it doesn't hit the p**p-hole.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #19
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoRev View Post
It's been said before, but the fixed regulators are really flow restrictors. They have a smaller ID limiting the amount of water.
I used mine once, at a CG where I had not used a regulator in the past. Barely had enough flow to fill the coffee pot.
Pitched it and bought a full flow adjustable regulator. All the water flow at a safe 45psi. No complaints.
Full flow is the key.

With flow restrictors when you turn off the faucet the pressure rises to whatever pressure the cg water supply is. They only restrict the flow while a faucet is open.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #20

Quote:
I think all RVs today are manufactured with plumbing that can easily handle up to 100 to 110 psi with no issues...
Would never run pressures like that in our RV or at home.

50psi in an RV and 75psi at home should more than do it.

The adjustable regulator with the gauge looks like a good idea.

Retired City Parks Equipment Water Tech
M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, pressure, pump, water