Old 10-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Pump Won't Prime to Winterize

I have always had a friend help me with winterizing my TT each year but today decided to try by myself. I have a somewhat better than general idea of the whole process but have never done it from start to finish myself. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube as a refresher and then talked to my friend on the phone. We went over my written list to be sure I wasn't missing any steps.

Long story short, the pump would not prime so I could not get the RV antifreeze pulled through the plumbing system. I tried turning the knob both ways on the bypass that should have allowed the pump to suck the antifreeze directly from the bottle but no luck. I turned all 3 handles going to the water heater to the opposite of what they were. The bypass handle in the middle is in line with the water lines now (pointing up/down).

My friend is going to come over and help me since I seem to be at an impasse but I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.

I have a 2015 Rockwood 2608 WS. I had no trouble until it was time to turn the pump on and then no prime.

Please keep the tone of any responses nice. I am a lone female RVer trying to learn to do some of the routine stuff on my TT myself. I'm not stupid but nor am I a mechanic or an RV whisperer (what we call my friend because he can fix pretty much everything on our RVs!).

Thank you!

"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #2

I have had the same problem before....
First, a lot of times, you have to open a faucet to get the pump to start drawing the antifreeze up, if you have a outdoor shower use that.

Secondly, I have had to pour antifreeze into the line using a paper cup, fill it with antifreeze, pour into hose until it is full, stick the hose back into the gallon bottle and turn the pump back on.

Good luck

Twincamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #3

Try setting your jug or pail on a table or ladder rung about the same height as your afternoon port so you aren't lifting the column of fluid 4 ft
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Start with a full gallon sitting on the same level as the water pump. I am sure you have done this, but make sure you take the cap off the end of the antifreeze inlet hose. I have seen that forgotten. Open a cold water faucet. Sounds like your water heater bypass is correct. It may take 30 seconds to get a good prime.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #5

Make sure the tube going into the anti-freeze jug is straight and does not curl up inside...
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
I have always had a friend help me with winterizing my TT each year but today decided to try by myself. I have a somewhat better than general idea of the whole process but have never done it from start to finish myself. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube as a refresher and then talked to my friend on the phone. We went over my written list to be sure I wasn't missing any steps.

Long story short, the pump would not prime so I could not get the RV antifreeze pulled through the plumbing system. I tried turning the knob both ways on the bypass that should have allowed the pump to suck the antifreeze directly from the bottle but no luck. I turned all 3 handles going to the water heater to the opposite of what they were. The bypass handle in the middle is in line with the water lines now (pointing up/down).

My friend is going to come over and help me since I seem to be at an impasse but I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.

I have a 2015 Rockwood 2608 WS. I had no trouble until it was time to turn the pump on and then no prime.

Please keep the tone of any responses nice. I am a lone female RVer trying to learn to do some of the routine stuff on my TT myself. I'm not stupid but nor am I a mechanic or an RV whisperer (what we call my friend because he can fix pretty much everything on our RVs!).

Thank you!
I had the same problem last week when I winterized (first time I did it). What I found was that because my pump was already filled with water, I had to open up a faucet for the pump to be able pull the antifreeze in. Otherwise it is a closed system .
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
western NC mountains!

basically, turning on any Faucet, the Shower, or the outside 'shower', will then PROMPT or TRIGGER the water pump to 'prime'.... it will not do it without a faucet on, because it doesn't 'know' you want any water, or in your case, 'antifreeze'... : )

and, since you want the pink stuff in all of your faucets and water lines, you have to open all of them anyway, but probably one at a time is best. When you see the pink stuff, close the faucet, and open another one, or the shower.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

I would think your missing turning a valve off somewhere, on my Rockwood I had the 3 water heater valves and 2 others, 1 was on the fresh water line between the pump and tank, my pump wouldn't prime until I closed that one, happened every year. Once you get to be a pro at it please come do mine, even if's it's only practice for you.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

Had the same issue this past weekend, lifted my gallon of antifreeze more level to the intake outside and it started pulling the antifreeze right away
TMD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

I agree with those telling you to lift the jug. I found that if its above the inlet it starts drawing immediately. I usually have my wife hold it on a ladder step.

Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, winter, winterize