Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
Denver, CO

Sanitize, filter and drink. If you want to be healthy quit drink that aweful beer.

Or quit drinking water and only drink beer.

Just saying
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Sanitize, filter and drink. If you want to be healthy quit drink that aweful beer.

Or quit drinking water and only drink beer.

Just saying
Hey I resemble that remark mr garbonz.
I'm drinkin both ......... come on!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
DDC

If you don't get exposed to some impurities you'll have trouble fighting them off when you do get exposed to them! I drink all the water anywhere after the towns chlorine and fluoride what else could harm us. The only reason the water in the trailer gets filtered is because it came with one.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
If you don't get exposed to some impurities you'll have trouble fighting them off when you do get exposed to them! I drink all the water anywhere after the towns chlorine and fluoride what else could harm us. The only reason the water in the trailer gets filtered is because it came with one.
I'm with u bruther
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #25

If you don't keep your defenses strong, a little bug could kill you.
I drink water from taps, fountains, parks, campgrounds, the water tank, bicycle water bottles, hydration packs and the occasional stream or spring.
Less is not always more or best -
"The drinking of purified water as a replacement of drinking water has been both advocated and discouraged for health reasons. Purified water lacks minerals and ions such as calcium that play key roles in biological functions such as in nervous system homeostasis, and are normally found in potable water. The lack of naturally-occurring minerals in distilled water has raised some concerns. The Journal of General Internal Medicine[20] published a study on the mineral contents of different waters available in the US. The study found that "drinking water sources available to North Americans may contain high levels of calcium, magnesium, and sodium and may provide clinically important portions of the recommended dietary intake of these minerals". It encouraged people to "check the mineral content of their drinking water, whether tap or bottled, and choose water most appropriate for their needs". Since distilled water is devoid of minerals, supplemental mineral intake through diet is needed to maintain proper health.
The consumption of "hard" water (water with minerals) is associated with beneficial cardiovascular effects. As noted in the American Journal of Epidemiology, consumption of hard drinking water is negatively correlated with atherosclerotic heart disease.[21]"

At our very large job site, there are about 1400 to 2400 people that share a lunch tent. People cough, sneeze, hack, show up sick because they can't afford a day off, pick their noses, share tables and chairs, etc.
As gross as it is, I usually get sick just once a year.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
Always Learning

We don't drink tap water generally - not because we're germ adverse (we aren't!), but because we don't care for the taste. It all started when we loved in northern NJ when the water was so gross it was undrinkable. We would buy gallons of water each week.

For the camper, we still brush our teeth and make baby bottles from the tap. We just don't full cups of water for drinking. We're too picky.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #27

My concern is the anit-freeze I use in he lines; not impure water or germs.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #28
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
Read the MSDS

http://www.shamrockchicago.com/MSDSPrestRVAf.html
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #29
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
It rinses out and is nontoxic. You'd better watch out for the Mosquitos and tick. They can REALLY take a bite.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #30

I have found that and 1 1/2 ounces of rye in a glass of water kills all the germs. Don't forget to add ice.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #31

DW and I are guilty of spending lots of $$ on bottled water. That is all she will drink so we buy at least a case a week at costco. She doesn't drink the city water at home so no chance of drinking well water from a CG. Doesn't matter to me as I drink more beer than water.

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #32

water bottle with filter

just saw the maker of this filtered water bottle on Shark Tank
he received 300 thousand dollars from a shark for 40 %

GOBIE H2O: Filtered Water Bottle, Filtered Water Bottles

gobieh2o.com/Cached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
The GOBIEH2O water bottle is eco-friendly and is the world's first fully portable, reusable, zero-waste, filtered water bottle.

For something that seems so simple as a water bottle, the GOBIE Water Bottle invented by Rusty Allen has really thought of everything and is truly the Hi Tech Water Bottle of the future. The best way to understand all the features that are built into the GOBIE Water Bottle is to watch the video below. There is a purpose for everything including the patented hard plastic bottle that you can squeeze just like the inferior plastic bottles with fancy labels. The built-in filter is an organic solid carbon block made out of coconut shells that's good for over 100 gallons of pure clean water before needing to be changed. The squeezable rubber grip is made of medical grade thermoplastic elastometer that will not degrade over time. This high tech water bottle is made to last a lifetime and a must have for hiking and backpacking in the wilderness.
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #33
MI Camperz

As much as I like our CG where we are seasonal, the well water can be quite putrid. I think that is true in the general geographical area. It has high iron content and tends to turn everything orange (including foliage, wood, campers, cars). Also, high sulfur content so it smells like rotten eggs. To avoid damaging everything the water comes in contact with, we double filter and have an iron filter which are about 1000 dollars each. I still won't drink it. We use spring water in jugs we purchase for drinking and cooking. With the iron filter, I can safely water grass and clean outdoors including camper and car without turning everything orange.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post

It has high iron content and tends to turn everything orange (including foliage, wood, campers, cars).

Also, high sulfur content so it smells like rotten eggs.

we double filter and have an iron filter which are about 1000 dollars each.

I still won't drink it.
unusual but yes
I have seen what too much iron can do
occasionally we also have to install special iron filters

too much iron along with heavy sulfur
makes for a nasty combination in water

Mountainman
Old 04-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #35

bottle water ???

Soda companies have all developed their own brand of bottled water. Let’s take a closer look at Desani , Pepsi corporations answer to bottled water. These bottles are filled with the same water they’ve been adding sugar and syrup to and selling as soda for years. The bottles get filled and then stored in a factory where temperatures can reach as high as 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
This can leach toxins into the bottle before you even get a chance to open it! Much worse than that, some of the water in these bottles has tested to have a pH as low as 5.0. That is much lower than the neutral water standard of 7.0, which means it is actually helping to take your body out of acid/alkaline balance and dehydrate you!

The bottled water scam gets worse. Just recently, tests were done on ten of the top bottled water brands in California to search for toxins and contaminants.
Eight of the ten checked out fine. Two, however, had chlorine byproducts above California’s standards. The two brands were Sam’s Choice and Acadia, which are sold by Wal-Mart and Giant Food supermarkets.
So, now you know the bottled water scam. It’s not just the fact that you are paying 1,900 times the price for your water, but many times you’re also getting worse water as a result! The pH of these waters is bringing your body towards an unhealthy acid existence.

The Amazing Bottled Water Scam - A Must See
below a should watch regarding bottled water
The Amazing Bottled Water Scam - A Must See - YouTube
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #36
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
As much as I like our CG where we are seasonal, the well water can be quite putrid. I think that is true in the general geographical area. It has high iron content and tends to turn everything orange (including foliage, wood, campers, cars). Also, high sulfur content so it smells like rotten eggs. To avoid damaging everything the water comes in contact with, we double filter and have an iron filter which are about 1000 dollars each. I still won't drink it. We use spring water in jugs we purchase for drinking and cooking. With the iron filter, I can safely water grass and clean outdoors including camper and car without turning everything orange.
I think with water like that, I would be afraid to hook up to it. And, if it smelled and taste horrible, even filtered, no way. I would be running to the nearest store for bottled water.

Not to self, take a quick water sample in a cup before hooking up.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #37
MI Camperz

It truly is a problem (iron and sulfur) in this geographical region.
The water is clear and minus the sulfur smell after double filtering plus an iron filter. Makes it safe to use for cleaning, watering, flushing. We fill up large jugs at "The Water Store" for drinking/cooking. As you can imagine, there are several "water stores" in the area. They filter and purify water through a 12 stage process and you buy in bulk. It only costs about $1 to fill a three gallon container. Plus we buy spring water too.
Link to "The Water Store":
http://waterstore1.com/aboutus.htm.
We bought our iron filter at sears on sale so it was $800 instead of $1000. They service it free on demand, which will mean this spring when we hook it back up to the RV at our campgrounds. We are here now till Tuesday, but water not on yet as temps too cold. The CGs public showers, restroom have good water to use in this dry time. They must ultra filter it too.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #38
MI Camperz

High Iron Content

Here are a couple of pics of what high iron can do. This is the back of our shed after watering grass when we were newbies and didn't know better. We since purchased the iron filter so water is clear now. The second is some PVC pipe from our neighbor who doesn't have an iron filter and this is what happens when he waters his grass. Fortunately, we learned fast enough and water never got on our camper. Don't ask me about my car which got wet at the same time as the shed. I have an orange, mother-of pearl effect on my paint job. Lovely! So the $800 iron filter was mandatory to avoid damaging everything in sight. Needless to say, the shed gets painted this summer!
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	27182

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	27183
Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #39

Everyone complains about the price to fuel but will spend $$$ on water.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #40
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I have found that and 1 1/2 ounces of rye in a glass of water kills all the germs. Don't forget to add ice.
Should the ice cube be made from bottled water?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote