Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #41
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Everyone complains about the price to fuel but will spend $$$ on water.
As my grandpa always said "Silly people do silly things."
Old 04-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #42

municipal tap water versus bottled water

Throughout the world, bottled water has become enormously popular in recent years. Besides its convenience, bottled water is often thought to be purer and better tasting than tap water from municipal sources. Much of this perception is a result of advertising which emphasizes the idea that bottled water comes from crystal clear mountain springs or the run-off of pure glacial water. This “exotic” water comes in designer bottles that are often prominently displayed by restaurants, catered events or by people proclaiming their “good taste.” Research by groups such as the Natural Resources Defense Council, however, suggests that the bottled water sold in the United States is not necessarily purer or safer than most tap water. In a four-year study, the NRDC tested over 1,000 bottles of 103 different bottled water brands. They concluded that there was no significant difference in the content of municipal tap water versus bottled water.
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #43
DDC

The bottled water comes from the tap too, there are no regulations on it and you will also see a best before date, because the plastic bottle leaches chemicals into the water.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #44
Mod free 5er

Bottom line, those that insist on bottled water will continue their ways and those that don't, won't. No amount of reasoning either printed or spoken will change anyone's mind.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #45

The Shark Tank guy that developed that Gobie water bottle with a built-in carbon filter said, IIRC, that 99.99% of all contaminants are removed. That's simply not possible with a carbon filter.

DW refuses to drink any tap water - period. We had a new well installed a few years ago and it has tested as pure as can be, except for a moderate calcium levels and a tiny amount of manganese (stains fixtures). I have heard about various scientific tests being done in recent years that show that bottled water is simply not as pure as it is made out to be. DW gets 5 gallon bottles of filtered water from our local supermarket. It's only filtered, not reverse osmosis. DW still insists it's better than our well water, which I drink all the time and am still here.

I don't have a problem drinking water in a cg supplied from a municipal water system as it's going to be chlorinated and safe to drink (at least in terms of e-coli) but we have two in-line filters at our kitchen tap. Municipal water systems have to meet federal standards for various minerals, turbidity, etc. We never use our fresh water tank, but the main thing to worry about is e-coli and other bacteria. In addition to periodic chlorination, you should make sure your water tank filler is kept off the ground and otherwise kept clean. I would be concerned about water in a cg that has it's own water system fed from it's own well and I would drink bottled water in that case.

There is no single filter that will filter out all the undesirable stuff and bacteria. Some things are next to impossible to remove like hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell sometimes found in well water). In terms of carbon filters, a 0.5 micron filter will remove 99.5% of Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Entamoeba,and Toxoplasmacysts but a 5 micron filter won't remove any of these and is for removing bad taste & odor and chlorine taste. Personally, I think those small inline filters that attach at your water inlet fitting won't cut it.

The safest filtered water available is going to be from a reverse osmosis setup. I'd like to install one in our TT if I could find one that doesn't dump waste water in it's process.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #46
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Soda companies have all developed their own brand of bottled water. Let’s take a closer look at Desani , Pepsi corporations answer to bottled water. These bottles are filled with the same water they’ve been adding sugar and syrup to and selling as soda for years. The bottles get filled and then stored in a factory where temperatures can reach as high as 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
This can leach toxins into the bottle before you even get a chance to open it! Much worse than that, some of the water in these bottles has tested to have a pH as low as 5.0. That is much lower than the neutral water standard of 7.0, which means it is actually helping to take your body out of acid/alkaline balance and dehydrate you!

The bottled water scam gets worse. Just recently, tests were done on ten of the top bottled water brands in California to search for toxins and contaminants.
Eight of the ten checked out fine. Two, however, had chlorine byproducts above California’s standards. The two brands were Sam’s Choice and Acadia, which are sold by Wal-Mart and Giant Food supermarkets.
So, now you know the bottled water scam. It’s not just the fact that you are paying 1,900 times the price for your water, but many times you’re also getting worse water as a result! The pH of these waters is bringing your body towards an unhealthy acid existence.

The Amazing Bottled Water Scam - A Must See
below a should watch regarding bottled water
The Amazing Bottled Water Scam - A Must See - YouTube
Desani is a coca cola product and much of what you say here is VERY OLD news, and not accurate. I have a friend at work, whose brother heads up the search for pure water at coke throughout the world and they do go to great lengths to find and tap into pure sources. That being said I think bottled water in most places is totally unnecessary and a product of environmental hysteria that is rampant and popular. I love seeing people going into McDonald's and ordering bottled water, what an irony.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #47

What’s in That Bottle?

Read more: Bottled Water Vs. Tap Water: Rethink What You Drink | Reader's Digest
Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #48

we use this under the sink unit from Home Depot
with carbon filters
carbon filters start at around 10 dollars and go up to proxy 30 dollars each
depending on what one wants or needs removed from the water
Mountainman

QUICK VIEW

Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #49

Quote:
Should the ice cube be made from bottled water?
Make the cube with rye. You do not want to water down the drink too much.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #50
DDC

Chemicals in water bottles and food packaging have been linked to infertility and birth defects

Read more: Poisoned by plastic: Chemicals in water bottles and food packaging have been linked to infertility and birth defects. Scaremongering, or the truth? | Mail Online

Look it up there is lots of info on this.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #51

Quote:
The safest filtered water available is going to be from a reverse osmosis setup. I'd like to install one in our TT if I could find one that doesn't dump waste water in it's process
I was thinking of doing the same thing? I think the waste water can go back into the trailer potable water tank, so no lost water. The water in the trailer tank (potable) only gets cleaner as it's cycled thru the RO system. Might mean more frequent filter changes? The only drawback I can see is over filling the trailer tank if hooked up to a city water supply for a length of time and using lots of RO water.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #52
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Make the cube with rye. You do not want to water down the drink too much.
I don't think rye freezes very easily, but liquid ice cubes are good, if you keep them away from water. That works with vodka to (I've heard)..
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #53
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Chemicals in water bottles and food packaging have been linked to infertility and birth defects

Read more: Poisoned by plastic: Chemicals in water bottles and food packaging have been linked to infertility and birth defects. Scaremongering, or the truth? | Mail Online

Look it up there is lots of info on this.
That just a frickin infomercial for the gal's products and AND with no scientific validity. Unless you go COMPLETELY away from all potentially harmful activities such as packaged foods, microwaves, cell phones, plastic latex gloves, outdoor sun, insect bites etc etc.

Just stay home, HEPA filter your air, close all the blinds, have raw food delivered to your house (rinsed in your own distiller water),

Reverse osmosis setups are all made from plastic so that is out to. All stainless distillers are available, so that might work except for the nickel in the alloy.

Really, seriously.

I've been a health scientist for almost 40 years, and the crap I have seen has made me a bit jaded. I could go on and on, but rather go work on my PDI Surge protector install.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #54

how much is too much ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I could go on and on, but rather go work on my PDI Surge protector install.

hope that went well for you
I'm not a fan of Mother Earth News
but
the below is interesting
how much is too much ?
Mountainman

Read more: Bottled Water Side Effects | LIVESTRONG.COM
Old 04-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #55
Mod free 5er

Old 04-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #56

Since I came down with beaver fever last summer, my better half will only drink bottled water and she will give it to the grand kids also. Next month when I bring the 5er home, I will sterilize the fresh water tank and the water lines and put a new filter in. Then I will drink the water from the tank. I didn't drink the water from the campground but brushed my teeth with it, and came down with a quick weight loss diet
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

That's why there is no one on planet Earth older than about 30 yrs old. All because they didn't have bottled water at the grocery store before then. Sure glad they came up with plastic bottles of water. It is/has saved the human race from extinction.

It did my granddad in just after he turned 98 in Sep 1976, he drank well water from a bucket with a porcelain covered dipper his entire life. He might have made it to 100 with bottled water.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #58

We don't drink the water out of the camper faucet since I winterize with antifreeze, we have a 1.5 gallon and a 1 gallon water jug in the camper that we fill up either at home or from the campground tap. The 1 gallon goes in the fridge for drinking and the 1.5 sits on the counter for use with cooking. We do usually buy a case of water just to keep in the camper, one case will usually last us all camping season.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #59
Site Team

we almost always fill our FW tank with water from home.
i know it's good.

but we have no problems using city water the few times we've had hookups.
and have had to refill the FW tank from CG water and had no problems.

water out here is pretty good nearly everywhere.

i think the public has become brainwashed about bottled water.
many studies have found that most people can't tell the difference between bottled water and tap water.
if you really are that finicky about your drinking water, use something like a Brita and stop polluting our country with plastic bottles.

but i used to backpack a lot and used iodine tablets in my drinking water. so, i'm not as finicky about drinking water.

i know my grandparents would be turning in their graves if they were told that people PAY for drinking water, even though there's plenty of tap water available.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #60
Anacortesians

We usually take a full potable tank of Anacortes water when we set out. It's in the top 5 nationwide city systems for quality. Most trips, we find the CG water OK but if we're going to use it for beverages, we run it though a Brita jug.

Since we're ex-pat Brits, we don't drink much straight water, we use it for tea and coffee, so the drink actually tastes of something!