Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
2009 830RBSS

Quick Water Heater Question

Hi everyone. We took our Flagstaff 830RBSS out on her maiden voyage this weekend. All went well (other than it being a bit too windy), but I just had a quick question regarding the water heater. There is only one switch inside the TT which is for the gas. I was under the assumption I also had the electric option (as per discussions with my dealer). How do I turn this on? Just leave the gas switch turned off and turn the on/off toggle switch to on that is outside in the HWT access panel? Thanks for any input.

Oh, and a few shots from our trip.

Jason

Old 04-05-2010, 05:22 AM   #2

The gas and electric are independate of each other, they will work together (unlike alot of people). I will keep the elect on all the time then use the propane to help heet when taking showers etc. Make sure that you turn off the elect as part of your leave camping check list.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #3

There is a rocker switch on the water heater itself that you have to turn on. Please be sure you have water in the heater before turning it on. Sometimes it is hidden behind a tube or difficult to find but it is there. BTW, nice looking rig. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
OldSoldiers

I have a new 8285WS and had the same problem finding the Electric source for the hot water heater and either was not told or did not hear at the acceptance inspection what or where.

I eventually found a circuit breaker in the Power Panel marked clearly "Water Heater". It's likely a 15 amp breaker and it is likely the only on in the panel that is off.

Good luck,
OldSoldier
OldSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #5

Pictures, pictures. picture............

Don't ask me why they hide it.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Pictures, pictures. picture............

Don't ask me why they hide it.

Mine even came with a cotter pin through it that had to be removed before I could turn it on!
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
Mine even came with a cotter pin through it that had to be removed before I could turn it on!
Mine had, what is called, a Hair Pin (aka, hitch pin) in it.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #8

Mike,

In your signature - It doesn't seem like your link to "Visit the Rockwood,Flagstaff,Surveyor RV Owners Forums" goes anywhere. Looks like a "parked" domain...

2008 Silverado EXtCab 6.0 Vortex Max
2010 Forest River Surveyor SV-294
Equalizer 1000 WD/SC hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #9

It seems that everyone has answered your questions. The electric is seperate from the gas ignition. on the electric side you have the toggle switch on the heater. In addition, you have a 15 amp breaker on your circut box supporting all of your 12 volt appliances. You can leave on the one outside and use only the 15 amp breaker inside to control the electic side of the heater. As stated, do not leave the breaker on without any water in the water tank. As a practice, we turn off the breaker when we pack up each time. that way, it is not on when I activate the power to the coach when I get home. Same with the gas side, be sure there is water in the tank before ignighting the gas pilot. The photos are great showing the anode rod location. I remove it and drain the tank when we are finished camping. I leave it out till were ready to camp again. When were ready, I fill the tank to including the hot water tank (be sure to install the anode rod) so when we reach our destination. I use either the gas or electic to activate the hot water tank.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowait View Post
Mike,

In your signature - It doesn't seem like your link to "Visit the Rockwood,Flagstaff,Surveyor RV Owners Forums" goes anywhere. Looks like a "parked" domain...
Here is a link to the RFS site. Not sure why Mike's signature link is sending you where it did.

http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/default.asp

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowait View Post
Mike,

Thanks you. The link has been repaired.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
2009 830RBSS

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.