Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
mark0224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,443
I bought one of these to transfer the water.Heavy Duty Drill Powered Pump 650 GPH
or you could do this 12v Marine Utility Water Pump
__________________

__________________
Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Are you saying there's a check valve in the FW tank fill line? That doesn't make much sense to me. I know there's a check valve in the city water line, but not the FW tank fill line.
Yes, there is a check valve on the units that have the garden hose attachment set up. not so good idea imo. One of the first things that I noticed on my new unit, upon filling the Freshwater tank and when full and water flowing out the over flow. When shutting off the in coming water there was no way to burp the system and water because of the suction effect would continue to drain water out of my fresh water tank for a quarter to a half of the tank of water. The dealer tried to redo the breather tube to stop this, but it never worked. Also, traveling down the road, the sway of the unit would start the suction effect again and drain even more out of the tank. The one way check valve allowed and helped the suction effect. I ended up having to put a valve on my Fresh water tank breather tube, which I open when we set up camp. I consider my Fresh Water fill attachment and breather set up by Forest River as very Sub Par for such a company.
__________________

__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,721
Sounds like they just took a city water connector and stuck it on your FW tank fill line. I wonder if you can remove the guts of the check valve from the open end of the connector? (Maybe it would screw out?)

Camping World has 3 city water connectors. Two of them say they have a check valve. This one does not, and one of the reviewers says he's using it to connect a hose in his bathroom, which I would interpret to mean he's running water OUT of the connector instead of INTO it, which also implies no check valve.

Recessed City Water Inlet - Lakeview 3783 - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

Maybe you can replace your FW tank connector with this one.

Another thought: I would assume you now have THREE of these connectors, one for city water, one for FW tank fill, and one for your anti-freeze. MAYBE they installed one without a check valve, but inadvertently put it on the AF connection.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #24
Lon
Senior Member
 
Lon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: in the white river fishing for trout
Posts: 104
Fascinating Reading

and answers a huge number of questions I have pondered as a newby over the last 5 months...especially the post by FROG(hope I spelled that right). So the winterizing port utilizes the water pump to suck antifreeze into the water lines. So I don't have to pour antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pump it through the system. One question remains: Why do you bypass the hot water tank when winterizing? Do you not want antifreeze in the hot water tank? What keeps the hot water tank from freezing if it doesn't have antifreeze in it? Sorry guys. I'm a little slow. Please FROG me.
__________________
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Yes, there is a check valve on the units that have the garden hose attachment set up. not so good idea imo. One of the first things that I noticed on my new unit, upon filling the Freshwater tank and when full and water flowing out the over flow. When shutting off the in coming water there was no way to burp the system and water because of the suction effect would continue to drain water out of my fresh water tank for a quarter to a half of the tank of water. The dealer tried to redo the breather tube to stop this, but it never worked. Also, traveling down the road, the sway of the unit would start the suction effect again and drain even more out of the tank. The one way check valve allowed and helped the suction effect. I ended up having to put a valve on my Fresh water tank breather tube, which I open when we set up camp. I consider my Fresh Water fill attachment and breather set up by Forest River as very Sub Par for such a company.
The valve isn't the cause, the vent is plumbed over an inch down from the top of the tank. It's a poor design. I fixed mine, works well and I don't siphon a drop anymore.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,973
Quote:
and answers a huge number of questions I have pondered as a newby over the last 5 months...especially the post by FROG(hope I spelled that right). So the winterizing port utilizes the water pump to suck antifreeze into the water lines. So I don't have to pour antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pump it through the system. One question remains: Why do you bypass the hot water tank when winterizing? Do you not want antifreeze in the hot water tank? What keeps the hot water tank from freezing if it doesn't have antifreeze in it? Sorry guys. I'm a little slow. Please FROG me.
You drain the water from the HW tank. The bypass valves allow you to put the pink stuff in the water lines with out putting it into the HW heater. The small amount of water left in the tank will not hurt because it has room to expand and it freezes.
__________________
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #27
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
 
donanddona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Genoa, ILL
Posts: 1,424
Normally (AFTER the water in the water heater has cooled) we remove the anode (drain) plug to inspect and replace if necessary. Their are a couple of ways to flush the WH tank out. 1) use a wand and water jet it clean. 2) after removing the drain plug, turn on the city water or your FW pump and let her flow for 3-4-5 minutes. After flushing just let it drain out dry. It's one of the final steps when winterizing. For snowbird full timers like me, we should do this once a year anyway.
__________________
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #28
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
and answers a huge number of questions I have pondered as a newby over the last 5 months...especially the post by FROG(hope I spelled that right). So the winterizing port utilizes the water pump to suck antifreeze into the water lines. So I don't have to pour antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pump it through the system. One question remains: Why do you bypass the hot water tank when winterizing? Do you not want antifreeze in the hot water tank? What keeps the hot water tank from freezing if it doesn't have antifreeze in it? Sorry guys. I'm a little slow. Please FROG me.

You can put anitfreeze in the HW tank, but there is no need to waste 6 Gallons of antifreeze, when you can just open the drain plug and empty most of the water out so freezing will not harm it. Don't forget your outside shower. Out of sight and out of mind, and plastic faucet.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
The valve isn't the cause, the vent is plumbed over an inch down from the top of the tank. It's a poor design. I fixed mine, works well and I don't siphon a drop anymore.
'MY' 'Dealer' redid the breather tube from the rubber to house piping and (said) reran it to where it would not cause the siphoning action..... Did not work/help/ or change a thing. How Exactly did you redo yours? I will not take it back to 'them' and fix it myself if I have a better idea on what to do than what they did.

Thank-you
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #30
(Dry Huunday)
 
DreiHunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
Make yourself one of these and keep using the blue jugs. And you'll have a spare pump. I've used mine to also wash the dogs outside (I don't have an outside sprayer)

Great job on that!!!
__________________

__________________

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank, water, water tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.