Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

Re-Filling the water tank at a state park

We have ordered a Sandpiper 35rok. It will have a hose connection fresh water tank fill, rather than the 'gas tank' style fill cap. With the TT that we sold I would just go to the community water Station and fill a 6 gallon jug and tote it back to the trailer and top off the water tank using that fill cap.

We will normally be camping at parks with full hook up so this won't be an issue at this facilities, but we do have a couple state park trips planned. I was wondering if I could use the winterizing siphon hose and get water from a water jug that way? Thoughts?

Computer Nerd
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax
2015 Sandpiper 35ROK
Computer Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Most parks that don't have site water may have fill stations near the entrance. You can just fill on your way in. Personally, I wouldn't use my "winterizing" hose, but yes, you can use a jug and hose, or funnel to add water as needed.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Dazed & Confused

When you change the valves to suck antifreeze, it does not put the water into the fresh water tank, it puts in in the lines to the facets, etc. I bought a 12vdc pump at Harbor Freight for that very purpose. 12 Volt Marine Utility Pump
Filling my water tank from jugs that is.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Director, FROG

First, as was already mentioned, I wouldn't use the siphon hose. You'll want to have a white drinking-water rated hose for getting fresh water. Using the siphon hose wouldn't work anyway.

Your water input connection simply takes in water using the pressure from the campground faucet. It will not suck water out of a jug and into the fresh water tank. If you attached the hose to the winterizing hookup, you could use the water pump to suck the water out of the jug, but it would go into the water lines, not into the fresh water tank.

Stop at the community faucet and fill up the tank on your way into the park and as needed.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Site Team

If you don't have access to a park fill up station, I bought a boat wash (12V) water pump. You can stick the suction side in a water jug and I have a short hose on the other side that you can connect to you RV fill. If you want to get fancy, add a Trailer male plug to the pump and just plug it into your TV for power.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:22 PM   #6

I stay at State Parks and Federal campground for an average of 10 days..... water faucets are few and far between.... Average time to need 'fill up' 3-4 days. I refuse to 'break camp' to fill up the water tank.

What I did was buy an exact replace water pump that came with the unit (now I have a spare).... I mounted it on a short board, added a toggle switch, attached a 20 foot two wire cord with alligator clips on one end to attach to 12v power close to the battery. Have short three foot water hose to go to camper side of the water pump. on the intact side, have a 4 foot clear (hose clamped to pump) hose. I carry 2 7gal blue water jugs to fill when needed. All of this 'stuff' fits into its own bag and stays stored away until needed.

The first time I saw that factory water hose attachment on the side of my camper... I was POed...... Two years later, I am still POed every time I think about it.... (I almost think that the factory should have left out the check valve on that thing)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
GLCM Warrior

I'm not familiar with the hose connection type fill on the fresh water tank but does it require actual water pressure to fill the tank or is it possible to fabricate a hose to connect to the jug and the inlet connector and then still gravity fill?

I've actually considered using my on-board water pump anti-freeze siphon hose to pump water from a 5-gallon jug into my fresh water tank by utilizing the outdoor shower hose, but I'm concerned about how much extra wear and tear that would put on the on-board pump so I haven't done that so far. My 5'er does have the gravity fill spout, but it is very difficult to use as it is about 6 inches back and inside the door to the basement area. I fabricated a long hose to go from the jug spout into the gravity fill spout and then, while standing on a stool, I lift the jug up on my shoulder to empty it. I'm sure this method will get more difficult as I age so I'll have to come up with another solution at some point. I like the idea of an external pump like the one mentioned from Harbor Freight.

Best wishes in finding a solution that works for you.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
I've actually considered using my on-board water pump anti-freeze siphon hose to pump water from a 5-gallon jug into my fresh water tank by utilizing the outdoor shower hose, but I'm concerned about how much extra wear and tear that would put on the on-board pump so I haven't done that so far. My 5'er does have the gravity fill spout, but it is very difficult to use as it is about 6 inches back and inside the door to the basement area. I fabricated a long hose to go from the jug spout into the gravity fill spout and then, while standing on a stool, I lift the jug up on my shoulder to empty it. I'm sure this method will get more difficult as I get age so I'll have to come up with another solution at some point. I like the idea of an external pump like the one mentioned from Harbor Freight.
You could use the pump that is run by a drill. Low pressure and the drill could be corded or cordless.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Lefty59;774530 I've actually considered using my on-board water pump anti-freeze siphon hose to pump water from a 5-gallon jug into my fresh water tank by utilizing the outdoor shower hose, but I'm concerned about how much extra wear and tear that would put on the on-board pump so I haven't done that so far

This is exactly what I did on my Sabre, about 15 times over two years. I'd film a couple collapsible 5 gallon jugs, and then had a short piece of drinking water hose that I connected to the antifreeze inlet, and then used the outdoor shower hose to limo into the tank. Sounds complicated but works great and no more wear and tear then any other time using 5 gallons of water. You may have to add an adapter to the shower hose to hook up to the fw tank inlet.

Happy Campin!!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Nerd View Post
We have ordered a Sandpiper 35rok. It will have a hose connection fresh water tank fill, rather than the 'gas tank' style fill cap. With the TT that we sold I would just go to the community water Station and fill a 6 gallon jug and tote it back to the trailer and top off the water tank using that fill cap.

We will normally be camping at parks with full hook up so this won't be an issue at this facilities, but we do have a couple state park trips planned. I was wondering if I could use the winterizing siphon hose and get water from a water jug that way? Thoughts?

Computer Nerd
2015 Sandpiper 35ROK
Yes you can, if you have the outside water faucet. Set it to winterizing mode, screw the hose from the outside spigot to the fresh tank fill and open the cold valve. The pump will draw through the winterizing hose, pressurizing the water system, and flow from the spigot to the fresh tank. That's how I fill my fresh tank when I'm dry camped. I carry six, six gallon water jugs with me so only two trips to the water source fills me up.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:46 PM   #11

When we camp at a state park we found that have water faucet scattered around the CG for people to fill a pot or water can. They don't have threat connections to hook a hose to. I bought a water thief at Camping World and it fits over the end out the water faucet. I use a bunge to keep the water turned on and run several hoses to reach the MH. Most times I have done this other campers want to help and also fill up their tanks so water hoses are readily available. I also bought 6 6 gallon water jugs from Walmart and a 12 volt pump from Harbor Tool. I wired a switch and hook it to the batteries like Brother Les. That also works but much more work.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Or make a special spout connection for the water can to RV. Or an adapter type funnel.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Or make a special spout connection for the water can to RV. Or an adapter type funnel.

There is a check valve in it. Filling it up by gravity and adapter will not work very well at all. (tried it)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:04 PM   #14

We have done most of these ideas...

carry up to 100' of hose when we have a idea that we will need it.

But my favorite method is the water bladder, have a 40 gallon soft water bladder that we lay in the bed of the truck. Watch camping world... they go on sale every now and then...

Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World

9 times out of 10 we are able to siphon the water into the FW inlet... it is lower than the bed floor of our F150 on flat ground (sometimes will take 30min but sure is easy)

When the siphon is not possible, we use a modified hose (male - male) to connect bladder to winterize inlet. Then either "pump around" using shower route OR if we are not using the truck, just leave the bladder connected and pump directly out of it (since soft, it doesn't need venting, just collapses)

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbobcat View Post
We have done most of these ideas...

carry up to 100' of hose when we have a idea that we will need it.

But my favorite method is the water bladder, have a 40 gallon soft water bladder that we lay in the bed of the truck. Watch camping world... they go on sale every now and then...

Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World

9 times out of 10 we are able to siphon the water into the FW inlet... it is lower than the bed floor of our F150 on flat ground (sometimes will take 30min but sure is easy)

When the siphon is not possible, we use a modified hose (male - male) to connect bladder to winterize inlet. Then either "pump around" using shower route OR if we are not using the truck, just leave the bladder connected and pump directly out of it (since soft, it doesn't need venting, just collapses)

I think this is the best bet if you have a truck. I have a MH so not an option.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:29 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
You could use the pump that is run by a drill. Low pressure and the drill could be corded or cordless.

X2. I picked up one of those at Princess Auto for like $4. Works in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-31-2015, 11:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Brother Les
There is a check valve in it. Filling it up by gravity and adapter will not work very well at all. (tried it)
Are you saying there's a check valve in the FW tank fill line? That doesn't make much sense to me. I know there's a check valve in the city water line, but not the FW tank fill line.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Are you saying there's a check valve in the FW tank fill line? That doesn't make much sense to me. I know there's a check valve in the city water line, but not the FW tank fill line.
Mine has one too. No idea why, my only guess is it's the same connection as the city water hookup so they used it there to save on inventory.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #19

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I will take a look at some of these options. Thanks again!

Computer Nerd
2015 Sandpiper 35ROK
Computer Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #20

Make yourself one of these and keep using the blue jugs. And you'll have a spare pump. I've used mine to also wash the dogs outside (I don't have an outside sprayer)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1422799002106.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	69070  

Tags
tank, water, water tank