Old 07-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #1

Recurring water leak

Help! The water line to our refrigerator ice maker is just a half inch garden hose that runs almost the full length of our 5er inside the frame. It split a few weeks ago so I used a barbed brass double male with clamps to splice it back together after cutting out the bad section. Unfortunately all I had were some cheap hose clamps and they loosened up and it started leaking again so I bought some better quality clamps and put those on and tightened as tight as I could get them . Three days later it started leaking again so I checked the clamps and got about one more turn on each. That stopped the leak for now but I don't have a lot of confidence that they will hold. Does anybody have a better solution for repairing garden hose? I might add that all of this has happened while being stationary at a seasonal site. And before anybody has to ask, yes I do have a pressure regulator on the city water connection.

10Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Head Rambler

Crimp bands would be your best bet, but I'm sure that you don't want to go to the expense of buying the bands and a crimper, so what I'd do is double clamp the ends orienting the clamps 180 apart.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #3

Yup, should have thought of the two clamp thing. I used to do that on my sap tubing. I guess I'll make another trip to the hardware store. I should have gotten a couple spares anyway.

Thanks Rambler!
Old 07-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ranger View Post
Help! The water line to our refrigerator ice maker is just a half inch garden hose that runs almost the full length of our 5er inside the frame. It split a few weeks ago so I used a barbed brass double male with clamps to splice it back together after cutting out the bad section. Unfortunately all I had were some cheap hose clamps and they loosened up and it started leaking again so I bought some better quality clamps and put those on and tightened as tight as I could get them . Three days later it started leaking again so I checked the clamps and got about one more turn on each. That stopped the leak for now but I don't have a lot of confidence that they will hold. Does anybody have a better solution for repairing garden hose? I might add that all of this has happened while being stationary at a seasonal site. And before anybody has to ask, yes I do have a pressure regulator on the city water connection.
Are you sure that it is not pex? Maybe you need pex clamps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pex clamp.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	179404
Retired: Alaska Army NG
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

No it's not pex. for some reason that one line is just regular garden hose. Most of the rest of the plumbing is pex though. I think is because they ran it from the front all of the way to the back of the trailer between the frame and then half way back to the kitchen slide out. I think this is going to be an on going battle as it seems there is lots of opportunity for it to get pinched.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Not a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ranger View Post
No it's not pex. for some reason that one line is just regular garden hose. Most of the rest of the plumbing is pex though. I think is because they ran it from the front all of the way to the back of the trailer between the frame and then half way back to the kitchen slide out. I think this is going to be an on going battle as it seems there is lots of opportunity for it to get pinched.
It's not garden hose. It's actually high pressure water line equal to pex tubing, just more flexable. It's for drinking water. It's very common in most rvs. If you have a split in one area, you may be chasing the leak all the way to the source, one section at a time.

Look up flexible rv water line on Amazon or Camping World for proper, safe hose. Garden hose has chemical properties that are not good for you. BTW, I'm not a chemist, just an informed person.

You can get pex crimp clamps and an inexpensive crimper from Amazon. Its a tool that all rv owners will need eventually. The clamps and crimper will work on both pex and flex hose.

Shark Bite fittings with barb adapters from Home Depot, Lowes or Ace also will help with a repair.

All of these fittings and tools will cost less than an hour of labor at your local rv shop, and then you'll have the stuff for the next leak or to help your neighbor out with his leak.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
Not a newbie

I have double clamped lots of loose fittings over the years, and they unusually loosen up. PEX crimps are less likely to loosen.

Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak