Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #1

Reinstalling anode rod

Hello,
I'm new to the RV world purchasing my 2012 2300 Sunseeker last Fall. I am de-winterizing and having trouble reinstalling the anode rod. Any pointers? Also, I'm a little scared not knowing for sure if the tank for the hot water is full before I try to heat it. I apparently didn't have the "blue line water" turned in the off position all winter. Any sure way to know the hot water heater is full before I try to heat it? Thank you for any help you can offer.
Bensonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

First off do you have the correct size 1 and 1/16 inch socket?

Channel locks or vice grips will destroy your anode or damage your heater.

After you Teflon tape (or Teflon paste) your threads, install the anode so it is water tight.

Set your valves correctly for normal operation; not bypass.

Turn on the water and open the pressure relief valve. Air should start hissing out of the heater as it fills. When water comes out; close the pressure relief valve. Water should stop dripping. (If it leaks after it is reseated, you will need a new valve.)

Open the hot water faucets and let the water run till it is NOT PINK and stops spitting. Then you can turn on the heat.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #3

Yes, I have the 1 1/16 socket. I'm using a little Black and Decker hand drill called the Swivel. Since the motorhome was barely used last year, I didn't reapply Teflon tape but will.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #4

Sorry, iPad default... Is the pressure relief valve in the same vicinity as the anode? Thank you for your quick response.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensonsmom View Post
Yes, I have the 1 1/16 socket. I'm using a little Black and Decker hand drill called the Swivel. Since the motorhome was barely used last year, I didn't reapply Teflon tape but will.
If you don't put new teflon on every time (clean the old stuff off with a wire brush), the anode will leak regardless of "how much you used it."
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Its at the very top of heater . It hat a little lever just pull it to center to release.
herk undoubtedly has a pic to share!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Sorry, iPad default... Is the pressure relief valve in the same vicinity as the anode? Thank you for your quick response.
Most are near the top of the boiler under the outside white cover. I don't have a photo of the Suburban water heater "on hand" (will be fixing that later today). Here is what the valve looks like.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #8

Thank you both so much. I'll let you know later how I made out. Have a great day!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #9

If the trouble you are having is trying to get the anode set in the treads, you may want to try and angle it ever so slightly upwards. I had the same issue a couple of days ago.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes the length of the rod and gravity tends to make the anode rod dip down some.
rugged is correct on this one!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Dont use a drill to replace the rod,hand tools only! I use a 6 point socket with a 10 inch ext. to start the rod. I also place paper over the mouth of the socket before I place the nut end of the rod in the socket,it keeps the rod tight and level. Easy to start the pipe threads on the a/rod. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Dont use a drill to replace the rod,hand tools only! I use a 6 point socket with a 10 inch ext. to start the rod. I also place paper over the mouth of the socket before I place the nut end of the rod in the socket,it keeps the rod tight and level. Easy to start the pipe threads on the a/rod. Youroo!!
Man, you are right! I missed that.
Correct socket and snug only!
It just has to "not leak."
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #13

OK. I will hand tighten. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #14

OK guys, I am now officially " the tool guy". Everything worked as you said. Thank you so much for all your help. Happy RVing.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Another satisfied customer!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Set your valves correctly for normal operation; not bypass.

Turn on the water and open the pressure relief valve. Air should start hissing out of the heater as it fills. When water comes out; close the pressure relief valve. Water should stop dripping. (If it leaks after it is reseated, you will need a new valve.)

Open the hot water faucets and let the water run till it is NOT PINK and stops spitting. Then you can turn on the heat.
Just a little note on how I do mine. I open the hot water faucets and let the water run till it is not pink BEFORE setting the valves for normal instead of bypass. This takes less water, and eliminates the possibility of having residual antifreeze in the water heater mixed with the water.

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #17

When you put back your anode try to start the installation by hand. The weight of the anode try to put weight on one side and if you start directly with the socket you risk to install it crosstread.. It is a bit tight with the fingers but do it slowly and the first treads will start properly. I use the pink teflon on the treads instead of the white. The pink is a much better quality than the cheap white one.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
A "LITTLE" of info!

Herk is almost right, but if the relief valve leaks doesn't necessarily mean it is bad.

But if it does leak when you finish your project of reinstalling the zinc rod. Try this.

If the relief valve leaks, turn off your water supply (turn off pump also.)
Open the hot water faucet in the kitchen sink, leave open. Now go to the relief valve, lift up on the leaver to bleed any water off until the water stops running at the relief valve. Snap the valve shut a couple of times
(it is spring loaded). No go back to your kitchen close the hot water faucet side. Turn water pressure back on. Nine times out of if your pressure relief valve weeps water, you do not have a air pocket in the top of the hot water tank. This is a must to prevent the weeping of water at the pressure relief valve.

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

X2 on that DaisyBoykin, a small pc of scale could be lodged in the seat. I usually don't turn anything off, just stand to the side and flip the lever a couple of times and it seats.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
Hob

Herk,

If you hadn't been so attached to a yoke, you might have done like a Colonel I used to work for and made Maj. General. His favorite saying was, "if a job is worth doing, it's worth over-doing."

Best regards.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode