Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201alarm View Post
I picked up my new travel trailer from the dealer 5 weeks ago. I was surprised when doing the walk-thru that he recommended removing the anode every time I planned on not using the trailer for more then a week.

But... yesterday I winterized it and removed the anode and was surprised at the amount of pitting already on it even thought its only been in water for a month..
Quality of the water you put in your unit ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarn View Post
Might be ok for the winter to wrap with Teflon tape but do not do extra Teflon when sing the rv. One single wrap should be plenty . More can ruin the tank.

chevman
How's that?? PTFE Teflon pipe tape is chemically inert.

Always leave it out, in fact replace it with a new one if corroded, it is a consumable item....

Bugs and winter don't mix well unless you live in the south. Up here, once it freezes the bugs are gone until spring
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Quality of the water you put in your unit ???

The anode is the end of a electrical circuit. If the threads are too coated in dope or tape, the anode cannot sacrifice its soft metal to the surrounding steel. You can measure from the head of the anode to the casing of the heater, should be 0 (ohms) or good conductivity. Otherwise you'll have a perpetual new anode and leaking tank.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode, winter