Old 11-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

Removing FR1 Water Filter Housing

I've read threads here discussing the pros and cons of the KW1 and FR1. I have a new Windjammer 2609W and I am attempting to winterize it for the first time. In trying to remove the filter I found that I do not have one installed. I have the FR1 housing (full of water) but no filter inside of it. I tried to remove the housing, I assume by twisting, but am unable to simply twist it off. One or two of the posts on the other threads mentioned tabs. I do not know what/where they are. I'm reluctant to hunker down and apply excessive force to the housing fearing I'm going to break something (tabs?). So, the question: How do I remove the FR1 filter housing?

Dick & Donna
2014 Ram 2500 4x4
2016 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLIKS
RVEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #2

There should be a plastic wrench with notches in it. The notches fit over the tabs and turn. Remember to put a bucket under it. I had a ton of water come back out when I removed mine. Someone said to run the pump and leave a faucet open before you take it off.

Edit: something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Filter.../dp/B009XNPVHW

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I took the filter out of my canister first time I winterized it. In the spring I decided to use the external tube water filters. The DW and I never noticed the difference.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

Getting rid of my FR1 TODAY as the filter housing spontaneously exploded, spraying water all over the cabinet under the TV, and onto the electric water pump which is (unfortunately) located on the floor of the cabinet right next to said exploding filter housing.

Called around today to get a replacement housing and no dice. Getting this part is next to impossible as FR dealerships in the area (Tampa Bay area in FL) do not carry it and the manufacturer (WaterPur) wants ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS to overnight me a new one from Ohio. Um ... NO THANKS!

By the way, it says on the housing to replace it every year. If this the manufacturer's recommendation, then why don't FR dealers keep the replacements in stock?

This is way too much trouble. I'm switching to an exterior filtration system.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivnut

Mine and others have blown the filter screw on case down to the floor, but because owners did not apply pressure under the filter case as they screwed the filter and housing up into the housing. It's a dumb issue not covered with instructions. But I made 1150 miles with no problem once I applied the pressure under the case as I tightened with the supplied wrench. also applies to Aviator Electra TT.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #6

This filter system is junk! When I get home from the winter in the south, I will replace it with a filter that uses common filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivnut View Post
Mine and others have blown the filter screw on case down to the floor, but because owners did not apply pressure under the filter case as they screwed the filter and housing up into the housing. It's a dumb issue not covered with instructions. But I made 1150 miles with no problem once I applied the pressure under the case as I tightened with the supplied wrench. also applies to Aviator Electra TT.
Not sure that was the problem with ours since everything was holding up perfectly for many months before it exploded.

Anyway, after removing the unit to save $100 in shipping, husband went ahead and ordered the replacement filter and housing. In the meantime, I re-convinced him not to re-install it after all, because I was not fond of having a wet ticking time bomb under the TV.

The "genuine parts! beware of imitations!" supplier (WaterPur) will not take the parts back as it has now been more than 14 days. We paid $65 for the replacement filter and housing that we are never going to use. I'll sell both to you, mint condition in the shrink wrap, for $50 including shipping. Interested?

If yes, email me: mainegypsies at gmail dot com

Theresa

Tags
water, water filter