Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

Replace on demand hot ware heater

I have a 2017 F/R Berkshire 34QS. My Atwood 90205 on demand hot water heater, well it just sucks, its either burning or freezing. Now all I get is luke warm water. I don't even want to fix it. I want to have what I had in my winnebago a reliable tank heater that served us for 20 years without ANY issues! So what will fit it the existing space, its for sure has all the plumbing & gas & 12vdc, Has anyone done this or am I stuck with this discontinued model that parts are hard to get?
Dave
snoopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
Coach

Keep in mind you'll also need a switched 120v source if you want to use the electric side of a tank heater. We switched to a tankless in our fiver. Removed a 10 gallon tank model and had to fill in a little bit of space, so you might not fit a 10 without cutting. I can't say what kind of depth you have to work with.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #3

Might research if it would be easier to replace the Atwood tankless with a Truma tankless. We have a Girard tankless that we love, but if we get a new RV I want to try the Truma.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

We have a 2019 isata 3 24 fw with a truma heater. We just love it! We turn the hot water shower valve all the way open, until hot water comes and then adjust temps by using the cold water valve.
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #5

Met some folks that fell for the standard tankless hot water heater.

Replaced it after the first trip with the Truma. They love it.

We went with the 12 gallon traditional model. For back to back showers we turn on the electric and gas. Almost instant hot water. Never an issue.

The DW is a minimal water user, I am a tank drainer.

You know there is a trick to using the cheaper continuous hot water heaters. Set temp of hot water only. No cold. Never turn it off until the shower is over.

Uses a lot of water but, works.

So I am told.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #6

We had a Girard 2 in our River Stone Legacy, it was a learning curve to use, got luky and was upgraded to the Truma and it is a much better unit to use.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater