Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #1

Replaced Toilet Valve, Still Have a Leak

Hey everyone, I just bought my first camper, a 2017 Flagstaff Microlite 23LB. The previous owner bought it new and never used the toilet. He had never even hooked it up to city water or used the fresh water tank. So I get it home and start testing all the components and found that immediately, the toilet had a steady little stream leaking from the valve at the back. I went to the local RV dealer and bought a replacement valve. It's a Dometic 300 series. I was able to replace the valve without removing the toilet. I connected the water again and tested and no more leak! I left the water connected for about an hour and checked on it about every 10 minutes and never had an leaks.

However, went I started testing the toilet, I found I have a small leak and it's confusing me. I can flush the toilet and everything works and I don't get a leak. But if I try to fill the bowl first with water before flushing, about 5 seconds in I start getting a small puddle of water. The water is coming from directly below the pivot point on the foot pedal. It's not a rush of water or a stream. It's just a small trickle about the amount of a mouthwash cap. The water is not coming from the valve area. I can't seem to figure out why I get a small amount of water from under the pedal only when I try to fill the bowl with water. The rubber seal around the ball valve inside the toilet seems to be working fine. It holds water just fine. I tested by pouring cups of water into the bowl and watching to see if any leaks happened. And there were no leaks. This one has me completely puzzled. Can anyone help?
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

There have been a number of discussions on this forum about problems with Dometic 300 models, but not this specific problem of the leak you describe.

Hopefully others will be able to direct you how to deal with this, but I do know a number of people have had great results dealing with Dometic direct.....some of them actually receiving upgraded replacement 310 models.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
Plano, TX

The leak is coming from the o-ring that seals around the "button" that the pedal pushes while flushing. These valves are crap overall. There are two different "valve seats" in there and they will fail often. I have seen several brand new valves leak, believe it or not. I advise always keeping an extra on-hand and buying them somewhere that offers a warranty. Whatever you do DO NOT REMOVE THE FOOT PEDAL haha
Ale_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

Do your self a big favor and get a 310. It's ceramic, has the no slam lids, and is just a better toilet. Save your new valve as the one on the 310 is the same.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1689
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #5

I also believe there was a recall on some "300" series toilets because they would trap urine somewhere in the bowl and create a nasty smell. I would check and see if yours is in that recall.
I have just replaced my Thetford toilet for the exact same leak you are experiencing. I had the seal replaced twice. The dealer called Thetford and Thetford said, "yeah, that will keep needing to be replaced. It was a bad design." I replaced with a 310 and really like it. It is taller than the Thetford.
As far as replacing that seal, there are a number of videos on youtube that will guide you through the replacement process if yours is not in the recall.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Do your self a big favor and get a 310. It's ceramic, has the no slam lids, and is just a better toilet. Save your new valve as the one on the 310 is the same.
My Solaire came with the 310 but it doesn't have "no slam" lids. I got jipped! I want to eventually get a 320 since it's elongated but I have to make sure it'll fit. I hear it takes up more room in the back aside from the obvious difference in the front but I can't find anything that says how much more room it needs in the back.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer View Post
My Solaire came with the 310 but it doesn't have "no slam" lids. I got jipped! I want to eventually get a 320 since it's elongated but I have to make sure it'll fit. I hear it takes up more room in the back aside from the obvious difference in the front but I can't find anything that says how much more room it needs in the back.

Mine either. Bought some at Lowe's - $29, I think.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:18 AM   #8

Quote:
11 in. from center of hole to back wall. Extra inch more than the 310.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-...ies_manual.pdf
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

Toilet recall

Call Dometic direct. Customer service is listed on their website.
Give them the serial number from your toilet (found by sticking your head under the toilet) and they can quickly tell you if it has been recalled.
If you order a new unit get the 320, with a half an hour install your troubles will be over.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Call Dometic direct. Customer service is listed on their website.
Give them the serial number from your toilet (found by sticking your head under the toilet) and they can quickly tell you if it has been recalled.
If you order a new unit get the 320, with a half an hour install your troubles will be over.
Travel safe
Sticking my head under the toilet???
Old 10-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
Plano, TX

I found the serial number but wasn't it just the 300 models that were recalled?
Old 10-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #12

Yes
Quote:
I found the serial number but wasn't it just the 300 models that were recalled?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
The problem, more than likely, was due to the cheap valve. How will getting a better quality toilet with the same crappy valve going to help?? Mine started leaking in less than 6 months, new.
Rockwood Ultralite 2912bs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, valve