Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #1

Replacing broken glass shower panel

We have a 2019 Roo 23BDS which has the curved corner shower. Oddly enough, on our first trip, one of the rigid side panels exploded while we were out for the day. FR sent us a new one under warranty but now I need to figure out how to replace it. FR actually sent all pieces of glass, incl the 2 side walls and the 2 sliders.

Does anyone have instructions how one of these goes together? I'm still looking...

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #2

Id call a local glass company. They do that for a living and will do it correctly.

And if they break the glass, they will have to replace it.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Id call a local glass company. They do that for a living and will do it correctly.

It is my experience, being in the trades, and having a friend who owns a glass company, that glass companies will not install or repair enclosures that are not sold by them. One of the reasons is what you mentioned — if it breaks, they do not want to be, and will not be responsible for replacing what is probably an inferior product to what they would normally sell and install.

Your best options would be to do it yourself, hire a handyman to do it, or take it to the dealer.

Bruce
Old 12-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

X2.

Our group mainly boondocks in areas only accessible by rough dirt roads. Several in our group (including us) have had to replace glass shower doors when either the travel latch failed or wasn't employed.

Our local glass companies replaced the broken panel and did a fine job cutting and fitting an appropriate type of glass. They were also much cheaper than trying to get an OEM glass panel shipped from the dealers parts department.

I wouldn't never attempt cutting and replacing it myself.

And since you already have the panels, it should be a breeze for an experienced local installer.

Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #5

Replacing broken shower glass

Had the same thing happen to us on our first trip. Decided the shower panels were not secure in their track. The dealer replaced the whole unit after we came home. The new unit was not in the track either. We worked that out by placing it in the track ourselves. No problems since.How would you know that the problem was misalignment??? Also the plastic vertical seals kept coming off. We Gorilla glued them in place. If you can easily shut the door to the shower with no problem, keep it closed while traveling. Our panel shattered while I was sitting on the toilet. Glass was all over the place!
jhowevg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

On the exterior side of the sliding panel, look up into the track and you'll see a screw at each roller. Remove them from each upper and lower roller and you can remove the sliding panels. From the inside of the shower you can see the screws that hold in the curved top rail. Remove those and you can remove the fixed glass. Reverse to reglaze with the new fixed glass.

Any replacement glass MUST be tempered. You'll find the etched label at the bottom corners of the glass noting that it's tempered. No glass shops that I know of temper their own glass. They'll need to order the glass from a glass fabrication supplier. If a glass shop says they can cut and replace the flat, fixed glass in a day, run.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #7

One of my glass shower panels burst while traveling and I decided once was enough. I took out all the glass and replaced the works with a shower curtain. Now I needn't worry about when it will happen again, I've lightened the load on the REV 24TB chassis, and I have a lot more elbow and knee room in my bath. Why they put glass showers in these RV's that must travel over bad roads puzzles me.
Frenchcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowevg View Post
Had the same thing happen to us on our first trip. Decided the shower panels were not secure in their track. The dealer replaced the whole unit after we came home. The new unit was not in the track either. We worked that out by placing it in the track ourselves. No problems since.How would you know that the problem was misalignment??? Also the plastic vertical seals kept coming off. We Gorilla glued them in place. If you can easily shut the door to the shower with no problem, keep it closed while traveling. Our panel shattered while I was sitting on the toilet. Glass was all over the place!
I guess you have now learned the reason not to kick the shower glass while seated on the throne!
Old 12-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2.

Our group mainly boondocks in areas only accessible by rough dirt roads. Several in our group (including us) have had to replace glass shower doors when either the travel latch failed or wasn't employed.

Our local glass companies replaced the broken panel and did a fine job cutting and fitting an appropriate type of glass. They were also much cheaper than trying to get an OEM glass panel shipped from the dealers parts department.

I wouldn't never attempt cutting and replacing it myself.

And since you already have the panels, it should be a breeze for an experienced local installer.

Good luck!
That would be even better, let the guys who do that for a living do what they do for a living.

I have never seen a broken glass shower enclosure on a house. And I used to be a Residential Building Contractor

Tags
show, shower