Old 03-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #1

Replacing Holding Tank Probes

I'm replacing my black and grey holding tank probes with Horst Miracle probes to fix the false readings. I've done it on my previous trailers and loved them. Far more accurate than the cheap button probes the manufacturer uses.

I got the underside opened up yesterday and can only find 3 probes on each tank instead of the normal setup of 4 probes which is 3 sending and 1 common. Does FR use a different way for the common. Are there really only 3 probes or is the 4th located elsewhere on the tank?

TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #2

My 2015 MicroLite has 4 probes. They are on the street side of the tank. The common is away from the others towards the front of the tank and the other 3 are angled diagonally upward and towards the rear. FWIW I had thought of installing the miracle probes but instead bought some cheap external no contact sensors from a Chinese distributor and made a new system. I have tested it in the driveway to calibrate and will give it the real test next time I go camping...probably in April. I got lucky and got the first batch for only $4 each with free shipping. Next time best price was about $7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sensor.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	165191  

Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #3

Please let us know how those work!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #4

Disregard. I found them. What a pain! Thanks.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #5

Not sure what will happenn if they get wet traveling in the rain. They are currently attached using Gorilla Tape. Still getting some snow here so it could be May before I get to go camping and test the new system. My old Kit/Road Ranger had an external capacitive system that seemed to work pretty well. Those are available as aftermarket add-ons. I just wanted to see if I could make something out of cheap parts that would remain accurate regardless of conditions inside the tank. Tell me how the Miracle Probes work out and I’ll report on my home made system.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
My 2015 MicroLite has 4 probes. They are on the street side of the tank. The common is away from the others towards the front of the tank and the other 3 are angled diagonally upward and towards the rear. FWIW I had thought of installing the miracle probes but instead bought some cheap external no contact sensors from a Chinese distributor and made a new system. I have tested it in the driveway to calibrate and will give it the real test next time I go camping...probably in April. I got lucky and got the first batch for only $4 each with free shipping. Next time best price was about $7.
I used the same sensors to make a backup system last fall. I used 3M double sided foam tape rated for outside use. Also used beepers with the new sensors to let me know when the tanks are full. So far the system works pretty well. Mine are protected by the coroplast. No sign of any rain water getting on the probes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-12-24...-/263097366898

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #7

I looked at the Ebay info but I didn't get a real idea of how you use them. Do you buy 3 and then just run the new sensor wires to the TT wires that feed into the readout inside? ANdy - you said you used the 3M double stick tape - did it read thru the tape with no issues?

Sounds like an easy & cheap way to upgrade the sensors!
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #8

I just used two sensors on each tank. One for “half full” and one for “full”. You can use as many as you want.

There are no connections to the original sensor wires. This system is completely separate from the OEM system. I ran the new sensor wires through the floor in the bathroom sink cabinet. The sensors have three wires, 12 volt, gnd. and output. I ran a new 12 volt wire from the fuse panel and grounded with a self tapping screw into the frame. If you use a 12 volt LED indicator, you connect the indicator positive to 12 volt and the negative to the switch output wire. I mounted indicators for the black tank in the outside shower box so I could see them while flushing the black tank. I put LEDs on a circuit board for a readout inside mounted in the bathroom cabinet. Not exactly plug and play.

The foam tape had no effect on the sensing. The sensing distance is about 1/2”. The tank seems to be about 1/4” thick.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #9

I copied the style of the oem system and used 4 LEDs. The”empty” is not on a sensor but lights any time the power is applied. The other 3 are spaced 1/3 2/3 and about 2 inches from the top. My indicators are mounted on the main electrical control panel. Just being anal about parasitic draws I power the sensors for both tanks with a SPDT momentary ON toggle switch.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #10

I used a maintained switch for power to the new sensors. This way it’s on while I’m outside flushing the tanks. But I can leave it off if I don’t want any current draw.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #11

Thanks for the detailed replies - added this mod to my list of things to make our TT more user friendly!
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #12

I'm going to buy the 3m tape now. The Gorilla Tape didn't hold as well as I'd hoped. On our first trip of the season we filled the black tank to the top. The sensors worked as hoped except for 2/3. The sensor is operating but the LED on the panel didn't light. Probably my lousy soldering. We only got the gray tank up to the 1/3 level but it appears the sensors are functioning. Next trip is in 2 weeks, just across the Oregon border on Hwy 101. We'll be driveway camping at 2 locations so I don't expect to be putting much into either waste tank on this trip.

Tags
tank