Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #1

Replacing kitchen faucet, faucet lines too short to reach hot/cold water lines

I didn't realize they wouldn't reach until i installed the faucet. I went to HD but I'm not finding an extension that will work. Can someone please point me in the right direction on how i can bridge the gap?

thank you
Old 08-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

I can't believe HD didn't have multiple lengths of sink hose extensions. I just checked Lowes and they have them. What length are you looking for?

Ps--I just Googled water hose extensions and came up with several of them, including HD. Not sure what the problem is????????
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Probably user error

I've seen these online but when i went to HD they weren't helpful and i didn't see anything that matched what i was looking for. I really only need 6" or less.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

As I understand your situation, the RV PEX tubing with the faucet fittings are too short to reach your new faucet, correct?

Unfortunately, I have never seen a male-female hose extension with 1/2 MIP -1/2 FIP fittings and this is what you would need without cutting into the PEX tubing

It seems to me you have several choices IF you can find the parts.

The first requires making the PEX tubing longer so it will fit. For each pipe you will need a PEX coupling, some PEX tubing, PEX clamps, and a PEX crimping tool.

Cut the existing faucet fittings off and install them on a piece of PEX tubing.
Temporarily install it on the faucet so you can cut the existing PEX tubing to accept the coupling. Install a tube clamp on each piece, slide both ends over the coupling and crimp. Hook the PEX to the faucet. REPEAT as many times as necessary.

The other option requires a PEX to 3/8 compression fitting, PEX clamps, PEX crimping tool and 3/8 in. Compression x 1/2 FIP faucet hoses.

install the faucet hose on the faucet, install the PEX to compression fitting on hose. Cut existing PEX tubing to the length necessary so you can install the tubing fitting on the PEX tubing. install PEX clamp on PEX tubing, insert PEX fitting into PEX tubing, CRIMP.

Check for leaks and hope like hell you knew what you are doing before you even attempt this task. OR call a PLUMBER..

RV's are not plumbed like most houses, they are closer to a Mobile Home and require specialty tools and parts to work on the plumbing.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Site Team

You can use sharkbite fittings on the PEX tubing instead of having to buy the tools to use crimped fittings. You'll still need a couple of short pieces of PEX tubing, but HD or Lowes should have that.

Sharkbite even makes faucet connection kits, but they're not as popular so HD may not stock them.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #6

this makes sense

thanks all for the info. PEX tubing makes a lot more sense and explains why i couldn't find the right materials to extend the faucet lines. I will focus on extending the PEX.

thanks again.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Search Results forÂ*pex tubingÂ*at The Home Depot
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #8

When I replumbed my bathroom sink, I cut the pex lines and installed Sharkbite shutoff valve fittings. They have a barb end that fits into the existing pex line and the other end has the threaded end that the stainless flexible water line attaches to. The flexible water lines attached directly to the faucet assembly and then to the Sharkbite shutoff fitting. I used stainless worm gear clamps to attach the fittings to the pex.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMulcahy View Post
I didn't realize they wouldn't reach until i installed the faucet. I went to HD but I'm not finding an extension that will work. Can someone please point me in the right direction on how i can bridge the gap?

thank you
since the rv 's do not install angle stops . i would cut the pex install the angle stops and then use a normal braided faucet supply . in the process now of adding angle stops to all my fixtures
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #10

The fittings are standard. I had same issue (bath & kitchen) used 12 inch braided extensions from Lowe's and looped to connect to faucets. No PEX mod required.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The fittings are standard. I had same issue (bath & kitchen) used 12 inch braided extensions from Lowe's and looped to connect to faucets. No PEX mod required.
I tend to agree. Should be much simpler that assembling PEX fittings.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Exactly. I've replaced all the fixtures in the last 4 RVs. 2 faucets needed extensions which were readily available at Lowes or Home Depot. I think you only modify the pex if you just want to do it, not because you have to.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet, water