Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #1

Replacing old toilet with a new one

I'm going to replace the Dometic model 310 toilet with a new 310 model. Is this going to be an easy swap like it seems it should, or can I count on running into problems?

The trailer is in winter storage and suddenly for some unknown reason it quit holding antifreeze in the bowl. I feel replacing the entire toilet will be quicker and easier than trying to replace the flapper and gaskets on the old one.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

Just sounds like the seal (rubber gasket) needs replaced. It only takes a couple minutes due to it coming out and going in from the bowl. It just fits into a flange around the top perimeter of the opening. If you are dead set on changing out the whole thing it should take no more than 15 minutes. 2 nuts on the mounting studs (just like at home) and she comes right up. A wax donut is not used, a foam rubber floor seal is used and that comes with it. The new one comes with complete easy to understand instructions.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #3

dometic toilet

I agree with bubbles. I would try the gasket first, a lot cheaper and may very well solve your problem. Can't hurt to try it.
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #4

I Feel at Home When I'm on the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I'm going to replace the Dometic model 310 toilet with a new 310 model. Is this going to be an easy swap like it seems it should, or can I count on running into problems?

The trailer is in winter storage and suddenly for some unknown reason it quit holding antifreeze in the bowl. I feel replacing the entire toilet will be quicker and easier than trying to replace the flapper and gaskets on the old one.
IF your going to replace it go ahead and go up to the Model 320. A full sized man's toilet. You can then go to Lowes and buy any elongated toilet seat, just like at home. I like the seats that don't slam shut, DW likes that also.

Just make sure you get the 18" tall and not 14" unless you like your knees in your chest and take into account that it is elongated and will stick out a little more. I upgraded in our 33IK and it fits just fine.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

I replaced a Thetford plastic toilet with a 310 last year. It was pretty simple and no modifications were needed to the waterline.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

I've always replaced the toilet in every used motorhome I ever bought. A $200 toilet doesn't seem much extra expense in a class C. I always replace before repairing when it comes to toilets. Everything else is normally repair before replace.
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Just be sure to check the dimension from the wall to the center of the outlet. That's what prevented me swapping the toilet in our old RV - not enough space.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just sounds like the seal (rubber gasket) needs replaced. It only takes a couple minutes due to it coming out and going in from the bowl. It just fits into a flange around the top perimeter of the opening. If you are dead set on changing out the whole thing it should take no more than 15 minutes. 2 nuts on the mounting studs (just like at home) and she comes right up. A wax donut is not used, a foam rubber floor seal is used and that comes with it. The new one comes with complete easy to understand instructions.
Well even though I don't like the thought of doing it, I've decided to replace the flush seal this spring. I will be wearing gloves but even so, I don't like the thought of putting my hand in that area of the toilet. Perhaps it's because I know what I put through that opening in the mornings.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #9

Besure to check the fitting configurations...ie 90 deg elbow etc.
I replace an older model with a new nice and larger seating china bowel, but it took a lot of research and work to get the new one fitted apprx 1.5 inches off the wall and with elbow vs straight tied in !
OLYGOLFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #10

How to replace gasket..

https://youtu.be/vi3TRivsNlQ

Old 12-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Oakman, as you get older that feel'n will go away Was like that too, but you'll find that soap and water cures all evils....couldn't clean up after pets, no big deal anymore....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Oakman, as you get older that feel'n will go away Was like that too, but you'll find that soap and water cures all evils....couldn't clean up after pets, no big deal anymore....
X2, don't use gloves when we put what's in there in there..

Old 12-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I'm already old, I just don't like messing with the inside of a toilet. Putting a new toilet in is more appealing to me than messing with an internal seal.

Clean up after pets, nope not me. That's why I don't own a pet.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #14

What are you crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

This issue is very common issue with all Rv toilets, it comes from one of two issues;
1) dirt that has become stuck to the ball gasket, this is easy to clean and should be cleaned on a somewhat regular basis to stop this condition
2) The ball gasket on the new models pulls out "without removing the toilet" they where made for just this kind of issue if the gasket become ripped for some reason. It is a one minute fix at most.

If you are like some who have added some type of grease to the ball gasket the water makes the grease ball up and stop the gasket from making a full seal, all that needs to be done with this issue is again clean the gasket.
There are many videos around the internet and utube that will show you how-to clean this ball gasket, so do nor waste your money on a new toilet.
The only reason to replace the toilet is to upgrade to the 320, which is a better model but is also more expensive.

Hope this helps you out and Happy camping and Merry Christmas
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote