Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #1

Rookie Black Tank Dump Question

I've been reading everything I can here and on other RV-related forums in preparation for our first trip in our toy hauler. I'm sure that I have questions that I don't even know about yet , but here is one that is bugging me.

I keep reading the recommendation to wait until the black tank is 3/4 full before dumping. I understand why. What I'm not sure about is how to apply this to our situation:

We won't be camping. Our primary use for the toy hauler is BBQ Competitions where we will be on site for about 28 hours (typically Friday noon to Saturday around 4pm), so we won't be putting much waste into the black tank. In addition, all of the competitions have at least porta-potties available, and our plan is to use those for the solid waste and most daytime use (is there a delicate way to talk about this) and only use the TH toilet for those middle of the night needs.

So... Can I wait until the tank is 3/4 full if I use some form of tank chemicals (and what chemicals do you recommend) and then dump (it may be three or four weeks, but I won't know until we start using it), or should I plan on dumping every Saturday on the way home and add water to the black tank to get it to the 3/4 point?

Thanks!

...ron

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would NEVER wait 3 or 4 weeks. Also I would NEVER park the trailer for a week with anything but some water in the black tank. If you aren't putting any solids in the tank, then flush at will. Just make sure you have enough liquid to flush the paper. The normal recommendation is wait until 3/4 full, but that is for people that use the tank for solid waste. Everyone has a sightly different use, and will have to find what works for them.

You can always add water at the dump site, just have a hose you can fill the tank through the toilet with, ( I would not use my drinking hose here). You can always leave your house with the tank 1/3 to 1/2 full, if the weight won't bother you. Then it will have plenty of water in it when you get ready to dump. You'll figure it out. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I've been reading everything I can here and on other RV-related forums in preparation for our first trip in our toy hauler. I'm sure that I have questions that I don't even know about yet , but here is one that is bugging me.

I keep reading the recommendation to wait until the black tank is 3/4 full before dumping. I understand why. What I'm not sure about is how to apply this to our situation:

We won't be camping. Our primary use for the toy hauler is BBQ Competitions where we will be on site for about 28 hours (typically Friday noon to Saturday around 4pm), so we won't be putting much waste into the black tank. In addition, all of the competitions have at least porta-potties available, and our plan is to use those for the solid waste and most daytime use (is there a delicate way to talk about this) and only use the TH toilet for those middle of the night needs.

So... Can I wait until the tank is 3/4 full if I use some form of tank chemicals (and what chemicals do you recommend) and then dump (it may be three or four weeks, but I won't know until we start using it), or should I plan on dumping every Saturday on the way home and add water to the black tank to get it to the 3/4 point?

Thanks!

...ron
Ron, to anwser your question: NO! do not wait 3 - 4 weeks to dump the tank.

Fill the tank to 3/4 full when you are ready to pack up the TH and leave the BBQ cookoff. Run the potty or pour water into it to fill it to 3/4 full then dump the tank. I would also reccomend you use RV DIGEST-IT for treatment of the tank, it is the best thing in my opinion. Dump it when you are finished for the weekend.

Never leave the dump valve open while hooked up, and Never leave the tank dry.

Always add a few gallons of fresh water and chem after you dump it.

We also do the BBQ cookoff's we are www.texasrimfirebrand.com

Hope to see you around the judges tent sometime, good luck with the Bacon Explosions!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Team

i have to disagree with the others. i've used the black tank and not dumped until even longer and not had any issues.
i make sure plenty of water is in the tank and use Odorlos to make sure there's no odor.
and i've done it a number of times.
we camp at state parks and lots of times, the lines are too long to wait. so, i just wait til the next time we camp and dump then. sometimes, 3-4 weeks go by and never had any issues waiting that long.

the key is plenty of water and good tank additives. for us, a 30 gallon black tank takes a long time for the two of us to fill.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #5

Thanks, guys. That was the answer that I expected but wanted to check. It looks like finding a place to dump on the way home may be a challenge at times. It may be worth investing in the Flojet macerator for those trips.

Dan, the link above took me to a default GoDaddy page. We cook as Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que and generally stay within 6 hours of Chicago, but we may meet at the Royal or the Jack some day!

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #6

Capt Ron, I just checked and the website must be down. I will have to contact someone about this. Thanks for the heads up!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Site Team

I don't have a copy but doesn't "The Next Exit" book list dumpstations? A co-worker told me that they go to a local dumpstation (no cost) to avoid the long lines at campgrounds.

A lot of different methods work for different people. Most people don't have a problem until there is a problem. Since I don't have the same luck as others I tend to play it safe even if it's somewhat of an overkill.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #8

Yes, the "Next Exit" book does show dump stations etc. great book!
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Camping in 2011 =43
socref01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I don't have a copy but doesn't "The Next Exit" book list dumpstations? A co-worker told me that they go to a local dumpstation (no cost) to avoid the long lines at campgrounds.

A lot of different methods work for different people. Most people don't have a problem until there is a problem. Since I don't have the same luck as others I tend to play it safe even if it's somewhat of an overkill.
I don't have that book, either, but I've been looking at the different web sites that list dump stations and there isn't any thing listed close to our home, and some of the routes that we will be taking home from the competitions don't have anything but campgrounds listed.

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Tags
black tank