When I headed south and de-winterized my camper, I forgot to shut off the antifreeze pickup tube valve and left the hot water plumbing drain open.
When I first turned on the water pump I got a few spurts then nothing. I thought that maybe the pump had to prime itself and the system so I let it run for a couple minutes. When nothing more happened I looked into the plumbing compartment and double checked everything, finding the open valve on the antifreeze pickup tube. I shut that and went back into the camper and still little to no water....then I looked outside and saw the puddle
After shutting off the hot water plumbing drain everything works OK.
My question is did I cause any damage to the water pump by letting it run for 5 minutes or so with the antifreeze pickup valve open? I think some water from the freshwater tank may have made it's way into the pump just by gravity. I didn't know if the pump is a rotary vane type or diaphragm type pump. If it's rotary vane then I'm really worried that I may have damaged it. If it's a diaphragm type pump (I've never had one of those types) does running it dry damage it like running a rotary vane pump would?
2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Denmark, ME & Delray Beach, FL