Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #1

Run bathtub to Black tank?

Ok, I've thought about this because my trailer has a 35 gallon grey tank and a 35 gallon black tank, the grey tank is usually full in 2 days, max, while the black tank usually is only at 1\3 if that. When I empty the black tank, I usually have to add water to get everything out because there is not enough liquid in there to move the solids. I was thinking of routing the bathtub to drain to the black water tank, or at least put in valves where I can choose to route it to either tank as needed? Anyone done this? Pros or Cons? I can't see it being an issue as long as there is a P trap on the tub drain to keep the smell out, which there should be or the grey water tank would stink as well.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

1) your sure it's full? Going by the gauge is highly inaccurate.
2) wife and I showered 2 times a day each in Nashville a mo. Ago and didn't fill our grey from Saturday to Wednesday, I finally dumped it thursday morning guessing it was close, we also have a 35 gallon grey for the shower.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
1) your sure it's full? Going by the gauge is highly inaccurate.
2) wife and I showered 2 times a day each in Nashville a mo. Ago and didn't fill our grey from Saturday to Wednesday, we also have a 35 gallon grey for the shower.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Backed up in the bathtub, pretty sure it was full....

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sself1219 View Post
Backed up in the bathtub, pretty sure it was full....
Wait till you hook to the (Black Tank) and it Backs up in the Tub! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Wait till you hook to the (Black Tank) and it Backs up in the Tub! Youroo!!
Yep, that's the only issue I've found with piping the tub to the black tank, that's why I was thinking of putting in a pair of valves so I can route the tub to either tank, that way when the grey water is close to full, I can open\close valves to route tub to black tank. I know this boils down to me being lazy about emptying my grey water tank with the blue tank on wheels but it's such a pain...

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Why not just hold the stool pedal down a little longer to add more water. Sure a lot simpler. Also if you have a black water flush then just turn it on for a short time. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Why not just hold the stool pedal down a little longer to add more water. Sure a lot simpler. Also if you have a black water flush then just turn it on for a short time. Later RJD
I usually have to hold the flush level for a while to get enough water in there to thoroughly rinse it out. I don't have a black tank flush and was thinking that the tub to black water tank would kill two birds with one stone.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
Old 08-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #8

I'll take a pass on piping the gray water into the black. Besides since they merge at the sewer hose connection anyway, are you going to rig some type of pump up to force it in? I've used the flush king successfully for 7 years since it's rare to fill the black up for us. Much easier than holding the pedal down. The rinser completes the job with the new TT
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #9

Sounds like somebody needs to practice better water management, just saying......... Have you considered carrying a "blue boy" tank with you?

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

Thanks for your insight on water management, hadn't thought of that, Wife and 5 year old don't understand the concept of quick bath and turn the water off, I've preached it till I'm blue in the face. Yes, I have a blue boy, just a pain to use it.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
Old 08-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Sounds like somebody needs to practice better water management, just saying......... Have you considered carrying a "blue boy" tank with you?

Bob
refer to post#5
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #12

time for some teaching

Teach your wife the "Submarine Shower".
Turn on and get wet, turn off.
Soap up, turn on and rinse. Shut off
Get out.
Less that a gallon sometimes, or if filthy, around a gallon and a half.
Next, consider dumping your grey water if it is filling up that quickly. Run your grey water hose out (50 feet, right?) as far as it will go into the woods, and open the gray water line. Out west the Forest Service wants the water on the ground.
Finally, flush the black tank after draining. If you don't have a flush system, get the drain extender that has the hose hook up, to flush back up the drain tube.

We dry camp for over a month in the forest, at Elk Camp, and drain the grey water (and fill the clear water) 3 or four times over the period. We drain the black water to a Blue Boy, and haul it to town once at 3 weeks then hauling the trailer down to go home at 6 weeks. Judicious use, and making like a bear, extends the time.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #13

What is this blue boy you speak of? In my neck of the woods it's called a Honey Wagon. As the head of 4 person crew with a wife that like clean kids, clean dishes, clean motorhome in general, if we are going somewhere with full hookups can't leave without it. Have the grande biggest one. It is awesome and keeps things flowing so to speak...
SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #14

Blue Boy?

It what the Navy RV camp in Pensacola calls them. I'm army but thought it was a good name. Call it what you want. Didn't want the biggest, because Im the one who has to move it around. and it has to go into he back of the ruck to dump in town, about 25 miles one way.
As to grey water, we are pretty liberal in usage, since the spring is only about 3 miles away, and 6 six gallon cans fills the trailer in one swoop. I have a bilge pump, and some car plastic hose, and a long wire with alligator clips to transfer from the cans to the tank, so I don't have to lift them when full.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #15

We use dish pans for both wash and rinse water and dump them down the toilet. This equalizes the use and puts the food washouts in the toilet. We were hosts at a State Park in Wisconsin with only electricity and could easily go a week between trips to the dump and water refill stations.
Camping 2015 - 49
2016 - 73
willietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #16

We have a large tote for sewage. We also have one of these, http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/flojet-rv-waste-pump-kit/26125 . Put the tote into the back of the truck, pump into the tote, haul to dump site, rinse tote at dump site and now you're ready for another load, so to speak. I had to get an adapter for the tote in order to be able to dump from the back of the truck with a longer sewer hose.
FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for your insight on water management, hadn't thought of that, Wife and 5 year old don't understand the concept of quick bath and turn the water off, I've preached it till I'm blue in the face. Yes, I have a blue boy, just a pain to use it.
^I hear you on this one.... The wife likes her showers.... Good thing that while she's in there, I'm manning the water pump switch at the panel. When I figure she has used too much water, the switch for the pump goes off (I'll deal with the blood bath much better than dumping a grey tank every 2nd day)

But then again, I'm always ready for a little "discussion" ha ha ha....

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
^I hear you on this one.... The wife likes her showers.... Good thing that while she's in there, I'm manning the water pump switch at the panel. When I figure she has used too much water, the switch for the pump goes off (I'll deal with the blood bath much better than dumping a grey tank every 2nd day)

But then again, I'm always ready for a little "discussion" ha ha ha....

J.
My camper must have been designed by your wife, the tank level\water pump switch are in the bathroom...

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
Old 08-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #19

Quote:
My camper must have been designed by your wife, the tank level\water pump switch are in the bathroom...
Well, there's your first modification then.... Move the switch out of the bathroom.... then figure out how to survive the onslaught of the dirty devil coming from the bathroom.... (Don't say I didn't warn you.... )

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #20
KAS

I keep a small bucket in the kitchen sink for wastewater, and when it is full I use it to flush and rinse the toilet (with the water pump off of course). This saves fresh water and fills up the tanks more evenly.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank