Old 07-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #1

running out of water fast

I fill my FW tank and it comes out the overflow and continues to run out for a long time. i have scanned the forms and think it is siphoning the water back out of the tank. we have only filled it 3 times. last time we filled it, only lasted 3 days and only did dishes, toilet and hand washing. its a 46 gal tank and we should be able to at least have a conservative shower. I'm going to buy a shut off valve to try out and verify the level after it stops draining from the overflow. i will let you all know my findings if any one else has the same issue. any suggestions are welcome. thanks

Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentsrv View Post
I fill my FW tank and it comes out the overflow and continues to run out for a long time. i have scanned the forms and think it is siphoning the water back out of the tank. we have only filled it 3 times. last time we filled it, only lasted 3 days and only did dishes, toilet and hand washing. its a 46 gal tank and we should be able to at least have a conservative shower. I'm going to buy a shut off valve to try out and verify the level after it stops draining from the overflow. i will let you all know my findings if any one else has the same issue. any suggestions are welcome. thanks
Ps you most likely have 40 gallon or 36 gallon as they count the water heater as fw capacity depends on if you have a 6 gallon or a 10 gallon wh.

In past upon first fillup of my 2005 flagstaff I filled it till it gushed out of filler or over flow vent and went camping only to find out I was almost empty the next day.
Two things happened .
First I forgot to fill hw tank -6 gallons .
Second I found out that I never had the fw tank full to begin with.
I then left plenty of time to fill fw tank by just slowly trickling in water vs opening up water hose to run full bore.

What happens is the water coming in can flow faster thrn the air coming out and when it starts burbing out water you think its full.

This may or may not be your case, I just wanted to give ya a heads up.

Turbs

Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentsrv View Post
You could always fill your tank, wait until the water stops draining from overflow, then drain tank into a bucket and measure the amount of water you're able to get into your tank. Another thing, is that maybe your pickup tube for your pump is mounted high on the sidewall, and you're not getting full use of your tank. In this case, fill tank, drain tank using pump while measuring, then see how much you can drain using tank drain. If all is ok, then it would be just learning conservation.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

I have felt the same as far as "where the heck did the water go!" Kept telling DW she's using to much on dishes. Well just came back from a five day dry camp for the 4th of July with a half tank yet. I think it's as suggested that rushing the water in on high cg pressure creates a vacuum that sucks out half the tank. I filled at home at a slow pace and when the overflow flowed, shut off the water and not much really flowed out the overflow. We'll see next trip.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

thanks will try that also
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Can you see your fresh water tank??
Mine is in my pass thru storage and I can open doors on both sides and
easily see if the tank is full or what the actual level is.
Can you do that??

I can see my over flow hose. I can stick my head and shoulders in
one pass storage hatch and easily touch my fill and over flow hoses.
I put a clamp on my over flow hose to keep it from sloshing out
on the way to a camp ground.
Of course I have to remove the clamp once I arrive and want to use water.
Leaving the clamp on there could result in the suction of the water pump
actually collapsing the tank.

Can you do any of these things?
Can you visually verify that your tank full to begin with?
Can you stop the siphon if that's what's happening?
When your tank runs out, is it actually empty? Can you see that
it is empty?

If you can see your tank you can solve a lot of this mystery.
Good luck!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #7

i can not see my tank. my over flow line comes out the bottom of the belly sack. i can check the water level from the monitor inside the camper. if i removed panels inside my pass through compartment i might be able to see tank. I'm working 2 more days then i can spend time investigating. thank you all for the responses
Old 07-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #8

I had the same problem on my tank. When the overflow stopped dripping I drained the tank into a 5 gallon bucket and it turnes out I was only getting 22 gal out of a 27 gallon tank. The overflow fitting on the tank is down over an inch and one quarter. what I did is got some more hose and made a loop that is higher than the tank. Besides being able to fill the tank full no water sloshes out while I'm traveling. when I fill it up I let the overflow stop dripping and then crack the valve and let it run real slow for a while to get all the water in I can. Soon as warranty up I'm going to put in a bigger tank, maybe 40-50 gallon so when I boondock I will have water for showers for a couple of days.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
MC9

The vent hose on the tank nearly always has a little water in it and won't allow the tank to fill. Take a small piece of hose and blow in the overflow and it will be fixed. BTDT.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC9 View Post
The vent hose on the tank nearly always has a little water in it and won't allow the tank to fill. Take a small piece of hose and blow in the overflow and it will be fixed. BTDT.
Ok I'll bite "BTDT" ? Better tow dodge today?

Turbs