Old 08-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
RV new this year- time to clean the the screen

It seems as though Forest River has their employees use a chop saw for cutting the plastic water pipe and water hose. Then since time is money, they do not take the time to clean the plastic shavings out of the pipe before installation

We have camped a total of 9 nights where we have had to count on our fresh water tank for our water. There is a screen mounted on the inlet side of the water pump. Its purpose is of course to collect debris. The first time I cleaned it out after our first outing, not only was the screen full of plastic shavings, but there was also a bunch in the end of the water inlet pipe.

I am not sure if you have noticed either of these scenarios.

When you start to have a blockage in one of your faucets, your water pump will cycle rather quickly because it is able to build pressure due of the blockage, even when you have the water faucet on.

When the water inlet screen becomes restricted, the pump will take longer to shut down once a working faucet is closed.

Yesterday morning, we encountered the first scenario when using the hot water in the bathroom. I unscrewed the screen assembly on the faucet, cleaned it, reassembled it and tested it. while it helped a little, the pump was still cycling too fast when using this faucet so I need to investigate the blockage further and may even resort to a better faucet for the bathroom sink.

Each RV will have their water pump located in a different place but it will be near the fresh water storage tank should be accessible via a removable panel. If the tank is located where it was in my old 5er, you will need to position that couch/fold down bed just right to access it.

Once you figure out where the pump is. you should see a clear plastic bowl with a screen inside that is screwed onto a housing. (like the water separation bowl seen on many older tractors) Unscrew the housing, and clean it and the screen. If this is your first time. your finger or a small vial brush to clean the inlet pipe. Put it back together and your good to go. This is probably a maintenance item that should be done a couple times a season, dependent on how often you use your fresh water tank.

Since I was having hot water issues, I also decided it was time to drain the hot water system, including the hot water heater. Fortunately, when I drained my heater, no debris came out.

My next step is to put everything back together, hook my hose to the city water connection, pull the screens from the faucets and flush the system once again to make sure that I have finally gotten all the plastic shavings out. This will also allow me to tell whether there is an obstruction in the faucet valves themselves.

An RV really is just like a house with all the normal maintenance. The nicest part about an RV though is you can move it from one beautiful place to another.. Try doing that with your house!
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote