Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

RV residential sewage lift station

My first project for the new year is on "GO" now and would like ideas if there are any: I am going to put in a sewage lift station next to my garage/shop that is approximately 100 feet from my house. I will be piping the discharge from this lift station to my septic tank (permitted where I live) which will be a ninety-two feet (92') run with approximately a fourteen-inch (14") rise to where it will attach to the four-inch (4") line coming out of the house to the septic tank. I'm currently looking at two (2) different units with design factors more than I really need for this application. Each of them are package units, basically just remove from the shipping package and install, complete with pump, level switch, and check valve. I'm never satisfied that I have completely emptied either of my tanks on my TT and am sure that they are not as clean as I would like them after dumping. With this system I can flush the tanks out, the water will drain into the lift station via the regular dump hose and the lift station will pump it over to the septic tank. I will also have a nearby faucet which will be used to run lots of water into the lift station after cleaning out the TT to flush the line to the septic tank. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has done this type lift station at home and have any suggestions.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #2

I use this thru a (5/8) garden hose. 100' length and 14" rise No problem! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4163.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	67847  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #3

I'm very interested in your concept. We too are also on an aerobic waste system that's on the completely other side of the house. We park our MH next to our 18x50ft shop that is 90ft from the house. I have water and 30amp service ( shop has dedicated 60amp service), but great way to dump. It is at least 200ft from my RV parking to my septics 4" service port.

My current method requires a strong stomach and 5 gallon buckets labeled with skull & bones!
Old 12-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
MC9

Be careful of "shocking" your system.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #5

@youroo: I made one of those to use in this application. I used an "upper medium" quality garbage disposal and it works just fine IF I park the TT in my driveway which will be about a sixty foot (60') run to the tap at the drain line from the house and fairly level. When I park the TT at the shop it just doesn't work as good, it takes way too long and the amount coming from the pump/disposal is very low. By the way--nice Bridgeport, I'm a retired machinist and loved the work. @"funfinder": When, and NOT if, I finish this project I will post photos and details as to which system I decide to use. Digging the hole for the thirty-gallon tank and the run from the shop to the drain live from the house will be the biggest hurdle. My "after Holiday's belly" will be needing it for sure . I can't imagine doing this job with five-gallon buckets. @MC9: With a four-thousand gallon septic tank I hope that the thirty gallon black tank + the 30 gallon grey tank won't be enough to shock the system. Actually I went to the local County permit office to ask about a permit to do this and they were really interested in this system. One of them looked at the records and told me that I had the four-thousand gallon tank (I didn't know that). He then told me that he could not see any way that I could harm my present system with this set-up and it's intended usage. I do not need a permit to put this system in nor tie it into my existing septic system. I'm more concerned with the fact that I will be also tying in the drain line from the sink in my shop to this system when I'm done. Currently the sink is on a twenty-foot drain tile imbedded in gravel which was put in back in 1996 and has been draining rather slow lately. I'd just as soon tie this sink in while I'm doing all this work.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #6

Just get a FloJet "Poop-Cannon" like this:

http://www.3tailer.com/media/catalog...ages/46957.gif

Get appropriate 3/4" hose and let it fly.

Been using ours for two years now and would never go without it.

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #7

Seems like a pretty expensive fix for what (at least to me) doesn't seem like a big problem. I always leave a few gallons of water in my tanks. I add anti-freeze in the winter. No problems so far.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #8

That link didn't work, but I think you meant something like this?:

Amazon.com: Flojet 18555000A Waste Water Pump: Automotive

No need to "build" anything. Just hook this to your sewer outlet, hook up a garden hose to reach your septic tank, open the valve and turn it on. You can run as much water through it when you're done as you want--even use a clear elbow in front of it to see what's happening with the discharge. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #9

Your idea sounds fine, I'm on the Town sewer system and they won't even let me dump into a clean out, just one of those dump ordinance's made up by non RV people. I sit on the Town Council and still can't convince them to change it. You might want to look at a macerator pump from West Marine. Not sure how far it can pump up hill, but the specks will tell you that and it runs off 12 volt. I have a macerator pump on a basement toilet that I installed that came with the toilet and it says that pump will pump vertically 12', then tied into an over head waist line the pump has a 3/4" outlet. I also have to do that 5 gal bucket thing, but then I just dump it down the toilet so where is the sense of this ordinance.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #10

I'd say that yours is a case of "what the township doesn't know won't hurt them." Your situation will also be much easier using the 12v Flojet macerator pump. At night.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #11

Check out the Macerators at Camping World. Either the Sani-Con or Flo Jet.

RV Supplies, RV Accessories & RV Parts for Motorhomes, Travel Trailers - Camping World and search for Macerator. Hope this helps
gizmojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
My first project for the new year is on "GO" now and would like ideas if there are any: I am going to put in a sewage lift station next to my garage/shop that is approximately 100 feet from my house. I will be piping the discharge from this lift station to my septic tank (permitted where I live) which will be a ninety-two feet (92') run with approximately a fourteen-inch (14") rise to where it will attach to the four-inch (4") line coming out of the house to the septic tank. I'm currently looking at two (2) different units with design factors more than I really need for this application. Each of them are package units, basically just remove from the shipping package and install, complete with pump, level switch, and check valve. I'm never satisfied that I have completely emptied either of my tanks on my TT and am sure that they are not as clean as I would like them after dumping. With this system I can flush the tanks out, the water will drain into the lift station via the regular dump hose and the lift station will pump it over to the septic tank. I will also have a nearby faucet which will be used to run lots of water into the lift station after cleaning out the TT to flush the line to the septic tank. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has done this type lift station at home and have any suggestions.
I am not sure why you are going to all thet trouble, why not put a septic tank near your RV? run the field lines into your yard make use of the was to help you yard grow
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #13

I would think a new septic tank and field would be a LOT more than a lift station, but maybe not. A septic system costs $4-6K. Don't know what the lift station is going to cost him.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #14

Check out sewer solution. Camping world carries them. I use 120feet of 1inch heavy duty hose.
Along with 2of the 10foot legnths of their hose. My distance is farly level but other people have went up in elevation. Just the 2of us and i dump once a week. Were fts.
whiteyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I use this thru a (5/8) garden hose. 100' length and 14" rise No problem! Youroo!!
Just looking think you used the connectors for the slinky hose is that right? Also do you have to run water in while operating or just after to clean out?
Old 12-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #16

Sorry for the missed link... was trying to link to just a picture.

We had the sewer solution before the FloJet... uses a ton of water and requires a bunch more hoses. Discharge and a water hose to power the unit.

We don't even carry a slinky at all anymore... Clear elbow, and then a greywater only cap with the garden hose for grey water only... OR for dumping black, take off greywater cap and replace with FloJet and connect to same dump hose... I fashioned a sewer connector that has a female hose end and with two donuts that fits almost every port we have encountered.

I have (2) 25' black/grey hoses... keep them rolled and connected back to themselves in storage... no leaking - no fuss...

With 50' of hose, I have even dumped my black tank into a vault toilet in a state park that I was able to pull up among side of... pumps 6' of head no problem...

For about $200 brand new you cant go wrong...

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
Just looking think you used the connectors for the slinky hose is that right? Also do you have to run water in while operating or just after to clean out?
Yes hooks up just like any RV hose! Treat it just like any (Garbage Disposal) fluid running (Used or New) while disposal is turned on! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #18

Using the 1inch diameter hose after the three quarter inch hose that comes with the sewer solution i seldom need to use water to macerate. Ussually only water used is for black tank cleanout. Takes me about one hour to dump everything and put it all away. I wouldnt reccomend sewer solution at a dump station where someone might be eaing behind you tho.
whiteyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
I am not sure why you are going to all thet trouble, why not put a septic tank near your RV? run the field lines into your yard make use of the was to help you yard grow
With the soils we have around here, field lines are not allowed nor do they work. Only permitted septic tanks are arobic, which by definition means they are not septic (lacking oxygen) but arobic (air pump like a fish tank). Arobic systems have 3 holding tanks ( 3 phases ) with sprinklers spraying chlorinated treated water out of the last tank/phase. These costs on average $10,000 and each requires to be filed with the county and be on an annual maintanace contract from a certified service company who must make quarterly visits to inspect and collect a sample for testing from your clorinated tank. If your maintanace contract expires ( you don't renew or pay the service company), the service company is legally required to notify the county. Then you get a nice certified letter from the county telling you that you have 15 days to provide documentation of a maintanace contract or be charged with "Hazardous Waste Dumping", a $2,000 fine.... All great reasons for limiting the number of waste treatment systems on your property... Plus I like to keep my treated sh!1 water in one area on my property... Not spread out all over the place!
Old 12-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #20

Wow. That's sime complicated sh!1 you got going on right there!

Seriously, I'd go simple before I'd go complex--the macerator (Flojet) may do everything you need it to do, and you're only into the project $200. If it works long term, you're done. If it doesn't work long term, you're only out $200.