Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Sagging gray galley tank-----------????

I have a 8285WS, 2011 Rockwood and just noticed a (maybe) problem
with the galley grey tank. I noticed the plastic under belly enclosure underneath the galley tank seemed to be sagging down more than the shower & black tank enclosure. Has anyone had any problem with the galley tank dropping down? I may not have a problem but I hate to remove the under belly enclosure to check to see if there is a problem. It is still under warranty with a extended warranty that I can fall back on.

Any information will be greatly accepted.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The coroplast under mine isn't exactly flat either...its buckled in areas.

Other than removing it to check, get underneath the camper and push up in the areas where its low and see if it feels like there's anything behind it. I think you'll find it's the coroplast itself.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #3

Tank is down on the plastic---------

Dave, the tank is down on the coraplast (? plastic), I can push up on the plastic and the tank goes up. I will drop the plastic material tomorrow to see what is going on. I have read on another web site about a piece of angle iron that flips over causing the tank drop down about 3". I just notice the "SAG" in the plastic liner after my last trip. I removed the small
vent that is in the center of the plastic, the tank is against the plastic.

Will follow up after the fix.
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Wow...let us know what you find.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #5

Follow up in Sagging "UNDER BELLY"

This is a follow up on the sagging under belly of the Rockwood 8285WS 2011 where the galley gray tank is located.

This is my findings: First I attempted to pull down the whole coroplast
(plastic under belly), but after removing many screws an both side of the camper from the trim strips, disconnecting the propane gas line, removing the strip from just behind the rear axle. I determined this was a job for the pro's at the RV warranty shop! Put all the screws back, reconnected the gas line. I had removed the small white vent located in the center of the underbelly and could see what I thought was the gray tank setting on the underbelly, which became a loose piece of the underbelly (coroplast) just laying on the top of the vent.

Then I received a private email from "ROCKINGWOOD" (name on this forum) out in California saying he has the same Rockwood RV and had read my post. After a phone conversation with him, he stated that after reading my post, he used a fiber optic camera to take a look through the white vent opening.

Here is what he found: There is a special piece of metal in the center of the tank frame that is 1" angle iron that runs from the front to the rear of the gray tank in the center of the tank. It has a "HOOK" on the each end
that reaches from the bottom of the tank to the top of the tank frame.
Another words the special bracket just runs from the front to the rear and hooks to the cross member of the tank frame. The tank just lays on this special support, no screws, no welding, zilch-nothing is holding the bracket but the weight of the tank in the center. The bulging of the underbelly is just the weight of the plastic and sags to make room for the furnace heater duct hose that passes under the door side of the gray tank, pushing the coroplast down slightly on the door side. "ROCKINGWOOD" said to cut 6" behind the white vent 10"-12" apart,
two cuts through the coroplast, running fore and aft, do not cut cross at the 6" mark behind the white vent. Your cut will look like a square "U" with side about 14" long with the bottom of the "U" being about 10" wide. The bottom of the "U" will be just 6" behind the white vent, acting as a "hinge"
for your opening. After the cut is made, pull down on the coroplast near the cross metal strip with screws that hold the coroplast up. This will give you visual access to the "SPECIAL" support for inspection. "Rockinghams"
special brace had come loose, fallen down from the rear of the gray tank. He put it back in place, used a "ZIP" tye to secure it in place. Upon closeing the opening you have cut, I used a black RV 2" wide tape that will hold up the world once stuck, Will keep your DW's mouth closed for ever, will hold the younguns in their chair, no problem.
I taped the opening closed with this Special sticky RV tape, then used a "SNIPE" sign from the local street corner (you know the ones that says
make you rich over night that clutters up all the street corners) By the way it is the same stuff as the coroplast (underbelly) , just white or yellow, red with lots of phone numbers. I cut it 2" larger than the opening
that I had cut, used piercing screws from "LOWES" to attach the "SNIPE" sign material in place 6" apart around the edge. I then taped over the edge of "SNIPE" sign material covering all of the screw heads with the 2" wide black tape.

My job is completed, I feel much better now knowing that "MY SPECIAL BRACE" was still in place and had not become dislodged. I now have a inspection access for my gray tank. You can use the white vent grill to look inside the under belly with a flash light to see if your bracket has come loose.

The credit goes to "ROCKINGWOOD" for finding a easy fix! And I have to also give credit to DAVE & MONICA for telling me to start with it was just the coroplast hanging down, you were right Dave!

If this is as clear as mud, PM me and I will talk to you on the phone!
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Alleged curmudgeon

So are you saying you underwent this process and did not find anything to be amiss? In other words, the coroplast was just sagging and the tank(s) appeared to be supported as they are supposed to be (and not sagging down against the plastic)?
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Well, peace of mind-----------

Vern, at least I now have a peace of mind. I had noticed the "UNDERBELLY" what I thought was sagging because of the gray water tank on our last trip was actually part of the "BUILT IN" to clear the furnace heat ducts. I just happen to be setting in a low slung chair which caused me to be able to look under my RV at a low viewing angle.

I guess maybe I was looking for something that was not there. I had read on another Forum about a fellow's tank support that came loose, was laying down on the underbelly and naturally when I noticed mine down, OH crap, what is happening now? To much idle time on my mind.
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 06-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Alleged curmudgeon

You and me both. In my driveway before even my first trip out I noted what I described to a friend as a sagging of the underbelly on my new Windjammer that gave the impression of "an overweight cat". This sagging was in the area of the fresh water, black and grey tanks aft of the bathroom. The eventual conclusion was that the few inches of sag I saw is "normal". Sometimes its not that I "have" too much time on my hands, but that I "take" to much time thinking about the rig and what I want to do with it.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #9

This sounds almost like a problem I had with a 2005 FR Grand Surveyor GS 291 TT. I had to remove two (2) of the sheet metal panels from the bottom to get to the dump valves to replace them. At this time I noticed that the rear of the grey tank was lower than the front of this same tank, and it was lower than the black water tank. The tank sits on two pieces of metal shaped somewhat like a "Z", only the corners are squared. This piece was bolted to the frame on each side, but with only one screw, and this allowed the "Z" bar to sort of "roll over" our of position. The tank is built with a sort of ledge at the top of the rear of the tank and this sits on this "Z" bar when it is it's proper place. I had to jack the tank back into position, roll the "Z" bar back into it's proper place, then added an additional screw to each side to prevent this from happening again. After replacing the valves, and some other work, the belly was closed up again. So far---so good.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #10

Howdy... I have a 2010 Rockwood SUL 8287 SS. After removing the belly (and side skirts) to connect the galley tank to the grey tank, I found that the grey water tank was also sagging, but it was because the 1 inch angle middle support bracket was out of position. The black water tank is parallel to the grey and its support bracket was in position, a hole burned through the support frame. It appeared that the installer used the out-of-position support bracket to hold the tank heater in place after it was stuck on and they forgot to put it back in position. Would you think the guy putting the belly pan together would have noticed..... It took a large hammer to beat the support bracket back into position where it fell into place in the burned-out hole!
fez111 is offline   Reply With Quote