Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Salem camper - Does bathroom sink drain to black tank?

I don't have access to my camper right now, but I was wondering if someone maybe could help me...

I've read that some brands/campers drain the bathroom sink to the black tank instead of the grey. Does anyone know if Salem (specifically 26TBUD) run all their drains to the grey tank? I'm thinking on mine only the toilet goes to the black tank.

brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB
its rare for it to drain into the black tank. only reason i could see would be to add water to the solids.

One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Head Rambler
You are correct. It's a pretty common practice for them to dump the vanity sink into the black tank and it's actually not a bad thing. Most people fill the grey tank long before they fill the black and the black will benefit from some extra water and a little soap won't hurt it either.

I can't speak to your exact model but looking at the layout it most likely goes into the grey tank. The only sure way to tell is to completely empty both tanks and then pour 5 gallons of water down the sink and see which outlet it comes out at.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
I found this feature useful as a "poor mans" black tank backwash, If you don't have a built in backwash system, after each dump, just turn on your vanity sink to fill the black tank, then empty and repeat till water runs clear. (btw: this is a time consuming method and only recommended at full hookup sites) I also use the geo-method so I also found this a great place add softener/detergent without mixing in a bucket and pouring down the toilet (what a mess)... to me, the more water in the black tank the better!
2006 Lincoln Mark LT/2011 Lincoln MKZ/2010 Kia Soul Sport
2008 FR Salem LA 292FBDS
Days camped 2010: 365
2011: 365
2012: 365
viperjpm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
My Salem vanity sink (and shower) drains to the gray tank. I also do the geo method and when I dump, I use the vanity sink to let the gray refill with clean water before dumping (rinsing) again, so I know it does not go to the black tank. Don't know how different the plumbing is between a Salem 26TBUD and a Salem 292FKDS, but there ya go. Good luck!
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

black tank