Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
RailwayRog

Sand In Hot Water Tank

Earlier in the year I drained the water out of my Atwood GC6AA-10E.
I just came back to it today to put the drain plug back in and notice what appeared to be a fine light color sand where the water evaporated after it ran out. I use a water filter most of the time.
Could it be the aluminum tank or electric heater element disintegrating?
Electric water heater worked last time I used it, (extremely hot and no way to turn it down).
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Team

It could be calcium deposits. It'll create a fine sand like powder when it dries out.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Team

X2 most likely the minerals that were in the water. They should rinse out fairly easily.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
RailwayRog

Thanx, I'm relieved that it isn't something serious.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
RailwayRog,,,,,if you use propane instead of electric,,,,you'll develope sand from the calcium in the water. Upside?......Easy to flush out.....Downside????....Propane costs.
Flush it out a couple times a year with good water pressure, and make sure you use a sacrificial anode in your water heater.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
RailwayRog,,,,,if you use propane instead of electric,,,,you'll develope sand from the calcium in the water. Upside?......Easy to flush out.....Downside????....Propane costs.
Flush it out a couple times a year with good water pressure, and make sure you use a sacrificial anode in your water heater.
He has a Atwood,no A-Rod! Youroo!!
Old 03-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
RailwayRog

Quote:
RailwayRog,,,,,if you use propane instead of electric,,,,you'll develope sand from the calcium in the water
Interesting, I learn something new everyday.
I do try to use electric as much as possible.
It's an aluminium tank, they suppose to have anodes?
Old 03-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #8

Youroo,,,,I use an anode regardless of the brand. The rod gets eaten up regardless,,,,,so I think the rod is good for the tank. I was a chemistry major in another lifetime, so I know there are ions floating around looking for something to cling to and do their job. It's a very cheap insurance policy of less than $20 a year.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

A magnesium anode is good to have with an aluminum tank since magnesium is more vulnerable to attack by the ions. The magnesium is a good "sacrificial lamb" to protect the aluminum. I had a friend a few years ago who had pinholes in his heater. I asked him about the anode that wasn't there. "Anode? What's that." Nuf said bout that. I recommend putting one in there.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
How does the heat source affect the precipitation of minerals in the heater? Since they're both technically heating a metal tube and that transfers heat to the water. Granted, the tube is larger on the propane side, but the mechanism is the same.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Youroo,,,,I use an anode regardless of the brand. The rod gets eaten up regardless,,,,,so I think the rod is good for the tank. I was a chemistry major in another lifetime, so I know there are ions floating around looking for something to cling to and do their job. It's a very cheap insurance policy of less than $20 a year.
Grandpa jim,I just called the Atwood Factory and ask about your suggestion about using a A-Rod in thier Al alloy tanks,it didnt take them very long to say "NO" I ask about Al vs Mag,same answer "NO"! They were very nice but Firm about the NO! Youroo!!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #12

Youroo...Now THAT gets me to wondering why they didn't explain WHY. Being as my background is chemical,,,,I stick to my story. But,,,to each his/her own.

Bama.....gas heaters have a tendency to create the sand in the heater. Electric heaters have a tendency to built the calcium up on the elements, thus forming a "shell-like" formation that falls off the element after it gets to a certain thickness, and it settles on the bottom of the tank and accumulates. And it's much harder to flush out than the sand.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #13
Site Team

That makes sense.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
Team Bleu

Sand in heater tank

ama.....gas heaters have a tendency to create the sand in the heater. Electric heaters have a tendency to built the calcium up on the elements, thus forming a "shell-like" formation that falls off the element after it gets to a certain thickness, and it settles on the bottom of the tank and accumulates. And it's much harder to flush out than the sand.

As I've been having this problem since I bought the RV, 2013 Georgetown XL. We where having issues with all the filters getting so damn plugged up to point I had no running water, so we removed them all. The Toilet has flushing issues after a few trips were it will over flow because it did not shut completely because the rim is full of shell like material. But in all the cold water tubes too, not only using hot water. Does anyone have a suggestion as we are to get it ready for me to hit the road in the next few weeks. We had a shut of valve put by the toilet to cut it off, as I had a few floods.
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, tank, water, water tank