Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
Yes, you can put the bleach solution in the water heater.

Just be sure to drain and flush the bleach water out, pull your anode rod, but open a water tap or lift the heater relief valve to release water pressure from the system first so you don't get soaked.

Chris in Virginia

Bacteria that cause "rotten egg smell" thrive in water heaters, hot or cold. If you are sanitizing anyway, good chance for some preventative treatment. Cut in the water heater.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

While I isolate the water heater during winterization and the entire "de-winterization" process (to keep crap out of my pipes); I sanitize the system AFTER I fill the hot water tank.

That way the tank gets a good dose of chlorine.

If you decide to drain after sanitization, be sure to "re-isolate" the water heater so the crud in the bottom of the tank won't get into your pipes.

My technique is to just drain the fresh water tank (only) completely after sanitizing the system and then refill it with house chlorinated water. Then I just run the hot and cold water through the taps till the chlorine smell is gone.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass