Old 03-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Sanitize water lines when de-winterizing camper?

I just called the camper lot where I store my camper to have it de-winterized. I asked about sanitizing the water lines (not the fresh water tank) and they acted like that didn't need done. They said they have never done that to their own camper. I don't normally drink the water though I cook with it which will kill bacteria and such. I use bottled water for my coffee maker. So do I need to sanitize the lines or not? Will the anti-freeze they use effectively do that?

On the positive side, this is going into my 2nd season with a camper and I am excited to get it out. My first trip will be over Easter weekend since my wife and I both get Good Friday off. That gives us a 3 day weekend.

2014 Sunseeker 2860DS
gmacklem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Like you we use bottled water for the coffee maker. As for the water lines I use 1/2 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water in the fresh water tank. Then run this water thru all of the faucets which sanitize the water lines. Another thing I do is make up a spray bottle of water with bleach in it then give a quick spray to the water inlet, both ends of the hose & the campground water supply. One caution be careful where this spray goes - my work shirt shows what happens when bleach gets on it!!

Everett & Joan after 60 years together. 2004 1/2 ton Chevy & 2011 Rockwood 1809S

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Our owner's manual recommends to sanitize with a weak bleach mixture after winter storage. I don't remember the ratio and have to look it up every year, but I think it is important to sanitize.I think "Emptypockets" above has the right ratio.
Ron and Elizabeth
2014 Rockwood 8285-IKWS
2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel 4x4
rburns4147 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
I have no idea where I got this guide, but it was in my RV Maintenance folder. Hope it helps!

How to Sanitize Your RV Water System

Thegenerally accepted method of sanitizing your RV's fresh water system asoutlined below involves filling the fresh water system with a solution ofhousehold bleach and running the solution through the entire RV water system.Then letting it stand for at least four hours. Finally, flush the system toremove the bleach taste and smell.

1. Readthrough these sanitize RV water system steps before you begin!
2. Somethings to consider before you start.
3. Time, you need at least 5 to 10 hours to complete the task.
4. Do you have internal and or external water filters? If so, you should change the filters after you have finished sanitizing the RV system.
5. Do you have a hot water tank? If you do, now might be a good time to flush out your hot water tank.
6. Drain all of the water out of the water system, this includes hot water tank, fresh water tank, and the water lines and then close all of the drains valves. You do not want to start this process with water that is questionable or of unknown quality in your RV water system.
7. Determine the size of your RV water system, the fresh water tank plus the hot water tank and 2 to 3 gallons for water lines depending on the size of your recreation vehicle.
8. Chlorine as a purification and disinfection, chlorine is an important chemical for water purification (such as water treatment plants), in disinfectants, and in bleach. Chlorine in water is more than three times as effective as a disinfectant against Escherichia coli than an equivalent concentration of bromine, and is more than six times more effective than an equivalent concentration of iodine.
9. Prepare a 5% sodium-hypochloric solution using chlorine bleach (non-scented and non-gel) and water.

Chlorine Solution Chart

Fresh water tank size Amount of Bleach Mix in container
40 gallons (152 litres) 1 cup (240 ml) 4 gallons (16 litres)
50 gallons (190 litres) 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) 5 gallons (20 litres)
60 gallons (227 litres) 1 1/2 cup (360 ml) 6 gallons (24 litres)
80 gallons (302 litres) 1 3/4 cup (420 ml) 7 gallons (28 litres)
100 gallons (380 litres) 2 cups (480 ml) 8 gallons (32 litres)

Addbleach mixture to the water tank - Neverpour straight bleach into the RV fresh water tank!

11. Topup the fresh water tank with water.

12. Runthe chlorinated water through all lines (hot and cold one at a time) for one ortwo minutes, you should be able to smell the chlorine.

13. Topup the fresh water tank with water again.

14. Letit sit for 4 hours minimum, over night is better. The most important thing is to wait the appropriate amount of time for the tank to be properly sanitized.

Note: Double the bleach isnot half the time

15. Drainand rinse the water tank and water lines several times with fresh water.

16. Thewater should now be safe to drink but if the chlorine odor is too strong youcan add a mixture of 1/2 cup of baking soda and a gallon of water to the freshwater tank, repeat the fresh water flush.
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

camper, water, winter, winterize