Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Sanitizing Fresh Water Tank

I have a 3100 S Sunseeker that has two fresh water inlets, one for city water and one that goes to the fresh water tank. I want to sanitize the tank but do not know how to add bleach solution to the system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
clr

You put the bleach solution into the water tank with the valve closed of course. Use 1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water per 15 gal of tank capacity. fill the tank with potable water and use the pump to run each faucet in the RV. Then let the solution set in the lines and tank for 3 hours and then train the water tank connect to city water and flush the solution out of all of the lines. Then dump the water from all of the holding tanks. I do this in the spring at the first campsite we use.

2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
RETIRED

You can use a funnel at the fresh water fill or add bleach to hose hooked to fresh water fill before you hook up to spigot

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #4

You can pour a 1/4 Cup of Bleach per 15 gal of Tank Capacity, buy pouring the Bleach into a measuring cup and pour into the filling garden hose! Youroo!!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You can pour a 1/4 Cup of Bleach per 15 gal of Tank Capacity, buy pouring the Bleach into a measuring cup and pour into the filling garden hose! Youroo!!
X2 This partially sanitizes your hoses, too, but you usually don't leave the bleach/water solution in the hose.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
X2 This partially sanitizes your hoses, too, but you usually don't leave the bleach/water solution in the hose.
Look down inside your water hose and you will likely see some "yellow" scum on the inside of the hose..People worry about sanitizing their tanks....Hose is just as important!!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #7

I have a short piece of hose, a drill operated pump and an old milk jug. Somewhat like you would do to add antifreeze during winterizing except this hooks to the tank fill connection.
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = Shikibu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #8

Sanitizing Fresh Water Tank

Need answers. 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS. Sanitized tank for first time yesterday as per manual. Have never used before as we always have water hookups. After draining, sensor lights on panel showed FULL. Knowing it was empty, thought sensor could be bad although brand new. Refilled again today to check it and water started coming back out inlet hose on outside where I was filling with garden hose for a minute or so. I shut water off and started pumping water through faucets again. Then opened drain to let tank empty again. Under the rv where the plastic flooring is that encloses all the tanks and such, when I pushed up slightly on the bottom, some water started running out edges around the rv frame and also out of a plastic hole that looked like a vent in the center of the floor. It doesn't seem to be attached to anything, so I was unsure if it is in fact a drain for water overflow or is it some kind of air vent. Not a lot of water seemed to be above the plastic flooring, but I know it shouldn't be there. My question...could water have backed up the inlet hose where I was filling it and when it got full, ran down around the hose somehow, maybe down the inside of wall or something and gotten underneath to settle on the plastic undercoat? Hoping no damage would have occurred. Thanks for any and all help with this. got a trip planned in a couple of weeks and a little worried.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #9

Reply to #8^ Remove some of the Under Belly and Look for the water intrusion spot! Otherwise it just a WAG! Did you buy the F/R 2nd year Warr? Youroo!!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #10
clr

Most tank water fills also have a small tube on the top of the filling connector. This small tube is to let the air out of the tank as you fill the tank with water. Many times this tube may become loose and fall down allowing the overfill water to get onto the plastic cardboard type of material. Does not sound like a major problem but you may want to ensure that tube is connected.

2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank