Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Sanitizing Fresh Water Tank

Okay, I'm back into the camping scene after being absent for 15 years, but this time with an RV. Things have change. I recently purchase a 2011 Freelander and need to get the sanitizing solution into the fresh water tank. The common theme I am hearing out there is a 3 ft. hose and a funnel. I didn't have a hose but I did have a 90 degree elbow and the solution wouldn't flow in. So I took out the water screen and noticed something that looked like a one-way pressure valve of some sort. Now I am frustrated. All help is greatly appreciated! Also, what is the best way to the the tank. Thanks.

FEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
If the connection you are trying to put the sanitizer in has a hose fitting you are in the wrong place. It should be an opening about the size of your gas filler on your car. Mine is on the back of the TT, not close to the pressurized water inlet. Hope this helps.

buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
buckisland1950, this is my fresh water connection not city, but they are next to each other. I wish I had an opening like your TT it would make life so much easier. I even called my dealer today and he didn't even have suggestion other than what I have been reading on the forums.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #4

My GT325 is like your set-up - two female hose connectors, one for city water and one for filling the potable tank.

After fruitless searching for a small pressure vessel to force the sanitizing fluid in, I'm in the process of making my own. I got a 24" length of 4" diameter schedule 40 PVC pipe. At both ends, I'm putting adapters that will go down from the 4" size to a garden hose connectors. At the input end, the first adapter is one that takes a screw-in cap.

The plan is to connect the output end to the RV potable water inlet through a short "white" hose, take the cap off the other end and pour in a gallon of bleach. Then I'll put the cap back on, hook a white hose to it and use our city water (about 55 psi) to blow the bleach in and follow it with water to fill the tank to about 75% full of bleach/water solution.

I'll let it sit a while, then drive the rig around to slosh the mixture everywhere in the tank. Afterwards, I'll run the mixture through the various faucets and the toilet. A couple of full tanks of clean water, with a drive around each time, should clear the chlorine smell and we'll be ready for the season.

Had we been able to complete our last trip with Anacortes city water, this rigmarole wouldn't have been necessary, but we had to add water for the last leg home. We got some city water that tasted peculiar.

I'll be curious to see how long the chlorine taste takes to clear. I was thinking originally of using Hydrogen Peroxide, but the cost is much higher than bleach.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Fez make sure your hose is empty then pour it into the hose , hook it up and turn on the water, my 2011 salem 26rks has the same set up.
Joe & Paula S
2011 Salem Cruise Lite 26RKS
99 F250 SuperDuty XLT 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel

Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Well I just look at fresh water tank under the bed again and found a capped plastic fitting on the side wall at the top. I went to Lowes and got a 90 degree elbow and it works perfectly. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
not sure if this was stated to you but if you are going to sanitize your system with bleach make sure you either take out the filter or replace the filter cause the bleach wipes out the charcoal.
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Use a solution of white vinegar and water let sit in the tank for an hour or so and pump/rinse through... taste and order gone
grayfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
I just sanitized my fresh water tank with pool shock. I was told this works very well. I used a hose to put a few tbs of the pool shock in and then used city water to push the solution into the tank. I got it filled to over 2/3 full or more. I let it sit overnight and then drove it for about 1 hour. When I returned, I drained the tank.

I'm a liveaboard who thinks it might be a idea to have water in my fresh water tank just for emergencies. What I don't know is if I should fill it up with water again and drain it? Anyone know? Also, if I want to keep the tank 1/2 full, how often should I drain it and sanitize it again?

Thanks for any help!!!

georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote