Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #1

Sanitizing my tank

I have a 2013 Forest River X-Lite and to fill my water tank I have to hook up a hose and fill till water spews out the overflow,There is a back check on the fitting and the hose is small so you need pressure to force the water to the tank. My first trip camping I rigged a 12v pump with hoses to add water to my tank should I run low. I guess to sanitize I must pump the bleach solution into my tank and go from there. Sure seems like a lot of work. I did not realize I did not have a gravity fill. I don't think I can convert it to a gravity fill unless the water tank is moved from under the bed to under the floor. there are low point drains and I'm wondering If I should drain my system and even blow it out to try and remove all the water so it does not get stagnant. My book does not cover this other than the bleach mix ratio and it seems the service guy said I had a non potable water system. anybody with any experiance on this type of system have any info would be helpfull. Thank You , Mike
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This has been pointed out before. The solution that other peopke have used is to pour the bleach into the hose before hooking it up to the tank fill inlet.

I'd be pretty sure that the FW tank inlet is above the actual tank, but they've added a check valve to prevent siphoning from the tank while in transit.

I'd be a good practice to empty the FW tank if it's sitting any length of time between trips I wouldn't empty the system with the low point drains between trips.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #3

Thanks, I would not have even thought of pouring the bleach in the hose .I wonder why service dept did not suggest this. Mike
Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #4

Service guys are not the best source of information. Real world experience like you find on this forum is best. You said the service guy called your system "non potable". Nonsense. If you sanitize it each spring and put drinkable water in it, you get drinkable water out of it.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

I am finding that out. When I asked what grease is used in my axle the only thing they could say is high temp so I had to post on this forum to find out more info. Thank God for this forum. Mike