Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Sanitizing water system

A quick question for when I'll de-winterize...
Does the hot water tanks needs to be sanitize prior to use also ?
I usually flush all the lines with water and then fill the FWT only with water and Javex and pump it every where and let sit for a night before draining it again and flush with water only.
I never did it before...curious to see what others do.
Is it needed with the hot water tank too or the fact of heating the water kills any bacteria that might be in the tank ?
Please share your de-winterizing method.

2014 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 tuxedo black
2015 Rockwood Signature 8310SS Diamond Edition
Black is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Average Joe
I fill the FWT with a bleach solution (2 cups bleach and 40 gallons or so of water). I open the water heater by-pass and pump the solution through out the system. Let it be for a day then drain and flush, including the water heater. Install the water filter and done.

Joe and Karen
2014 Sunseeker 2450sf

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
Here is a good tip I picked up a few years ago. After Chlorine sanitizing your potable (fresh) water tank and system, and after a couple of flushes, carry out the exact same procedure again but this time use Apple Cider Vinegar, not Chlorine (bleach). Why does this work? Vinegar is an Acid which neutralizes the Alkali Chlorine. After a couple of flushes, if there is any aftertaste at all it is one heck of a lot more pleasant than Chlorine! You could use standard White Vinegar to the same effect but aftertaste, (if any) would not be quite as pleasant.
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote