Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Saw Dust in Water Fixture

I hooked my new Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 up to city water for the first time today in the driveway. I activated all of my faucets and found nothing more then a trickel coming from both the hot and cold sides of the kitchen sink one. Since both sides were effected I figured the problem must be in the faucet it's self.

I cut off the water and took the faucet apart and found the neck area right at the screen of the faucet end clogged with saw dust. I put everything back together and turned the water back on. I then heard that sicking sound of water spraying everywhere. I shut off the water hose but it was too late there was water dripping from the overhead cabinets and all over the floor.

I forgot to replace a screw that held one of the knobs on. It blew clear off the faucet. I cleaned up the mess and now have the camper opened up and drying out. I got all the water I could find up with towels but I know some went under the stove and furnace where I just can't get too. I hope there is no long term damage

Has anyone had problems like this and did the water do any long term damage to your RV?

I had read many threads about stupid stuff like this and the poor quailty control of the RV manufactures. The faucet worked fine during my PDI so the saw dust must have collected and clogged the faucet when I first activted the water supply at home. I have no one to blame but myself for forgetting to put that screw back in but I should not have had to work on it in the first place.

As a side note when I took all the dividers out of the cabinets to let the camper air out I was amazed at the amount of stuff the builders left behind. I found short sections of electrical wire, 2 chewing gum wrapers, tons of saw dust and a plastic parts bag of some sort. I think Forest River needs a better quailty control program.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Unfortunately not uncommon to be cleaning up saw dust for a few years.
Heating ducts
Water lines
U name it.

TURBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Saw dust in plumbling lines is fairly common, unfortunately. My bath faucet was the same way. The problem didn't show up until I hooked up to a city water supply. I assume the higher pressure drove the dust on up into the faucet. You'll most likely find little styrofoam pieces for years too....
Carr, Brenda, Hannah, Callie and Sammy. An F350, a 30WRLTSA, a couple of scooters, and little precious family time. We camp, we ride, we love.
beanoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
If this story scares you, go talk to the workers on auto assembly lines as to what they do when they are not in a good mood. I worked with many of these in a component plant years ago. I was amazed at some of the tales they told about what they would do to new components going into new vehicles, or what they would put into the doors before they put the panels on. And Lord forbid, what they would do on second shift Friday evening if they didn't want to be working that day.
Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
Yeah had to replace my toilet valve due to construction crud in it. Fairly short term problem, get it all out and its a problem that should not come back, I can live with those types of problems.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
I haven't found it in the toilet yet. However. When I was cleaning the trailer today I noticed the heater vents had a fair amount if sawdust in them.
Just poor attention to finish work.
I just had my new truck worked on the other day and somehow the shop employee got clear coat fingerprints in the black trim.
Tow pictures, one phone call and it was "how soon can ku being it back in and let us fix our mistake Sir?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-686291839.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	15671  
2009 Heartland Sundance 31.5 XLT bunkhouse
2013 Ford F150 XTR ECOBOOST

"Of the troops - For the troops "
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
I had styrofoam clog my new Roo lines a few weeks back on our first trip. Also had a cracked water line when we tried filling up the fresh water tank. They had zip tied the line to the floor so tight that it broke through the flimsy hose (which after looking up the manufacturer's name to try and find a replacement, it turned out to be a sawdust exhaust hose for saws, not a water hose). Had a leaky skylight on the first trip too. When we picked it up for the first time, the guy doing the prep work was fighting with a 12v power line that they had mounted in a way that it pulled too tight when the slide out was extended. It would blow a fuse each time the slide was all the way out... Sigh.

This is our first camper. Seems that low quality control is the norm rather than the exception. It's kind of weird that the problem (of poor to no quality control) hasn't taken care of itself. If 10 of us went out and bought the same $25 coffee maker and 2 of us got one with broken buttons and 1 of us got one with a missing power cord, that little coffee maker isn't going to be on the shelves long. If 10 of us go and drop $25k, or more on a new camper though, from what I can tell, it's more like 8 or 9 of us are expecting to find problems (and are successful at doing so).

Seems like they are pretty willing to turn out sub-par work and have the expectation that the dealer will catch and correct most of the issues.

It's like the 1970's auto industry in the US. Poor quality opened up the door for Japan to take away market share and we are just recently starting to get some of our reputation back. I've no doubt that there are going to be issues when you try to make a small house with wheels... By comparrison though, think of your tow vehicle. Substantially more complicated, in the same general price range in many cases, and (now that the 70's and 80's are over) almost always a reliable machine from the moment it rolled off the assembly line.

Throw a few more people at the end of the line and keep the problems at the factory!

<steps off soap box>

jas0420 is offline   Reply With Quote