Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #1

School Me On Dewinterizing

What do I need to do to dewinterize?
obxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #2

I'm sure there's a million ways to do it, but here's mine.. It may be excessive, but I have never had an issue...

I hook up to the city connection (with regulator), and make sure all the taps inside are off.. Make sure the low point drains are closed. Open the city water to the trailer.. Check for obvious leaks or the sound of flow.. If you hear alot of water moving, shut the city connection off and look for the source of it..

If all is good, head for the furthest tap to the city connection and remove it's strainer.. Then slowly open the cold tap.. Once flowing, slowly open the hot tap.. Allow to flow until clean water comes out. Shut off the taps and reinstall the strainer.. Repeat this as you work your way back to the city connection, one sink at a time. On mine the last one I do is the outside shower because it is right beside the connection..

When the taps are done, open the inlet and outlet valves to the hot water tank, and close the bypass valve. Slowly open a hot water tap to allow the tank to fill.. When it's filled, shut off your city connection supply and close the hot water tap inside your rig.. Go out to the hot water tank and remove the anode. Take this time to inspect and replace your anode if needed.. You will probably get a little wet doing this..Allow the tank to drain... When it's drained, retape your anode and reinstall making sure it's tight..

Assuming you ran pink through your pump the next step is the water tank.. Since you've already flushed the system with the city connection, there should be minimal work needed.. Fill about a 1/3 to 1/2 of your tank up with water and go to the sink/fixture closest to where the pump is.. Turn the pump on and open the cold tap on this fixture.. Again you are looking for a clear and clean flow.. There should be no odor, color or taste at your faucets when you are done. You can check the system at the furthest tap from the pump as well. When the taps inside are done, leave the pump on and open the low point drains until it is clear coming out. When it's clear, close them and re-install their caps. Now shut the pump off and open the tank drain.. When drained, close the valve..

Keep an eye on your tank levels while doing it, and drain as needed.. I usually have to do it a couple of times...

Once done, make sure you have enough chemical for your tank, the drain hose is in good shape, your water hose(s) and regulator are returned to where you keep them and that you have a good supply of disposable gloves for your future camping season!

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #3

Good response. The only thing I'll add is that some people (including me) will take the dewinterizing process as the time to sanitize their water system. So this would mean doing the bleach thing in your FW tank, letting it sit for a while after you run the bleach water through all the taps and the HWH, and then draining the FW tank and refilling it with rinse water, flush out the lines again. It's another step, but you'll have clean sanitized water lines when you're done. Plus if you let the bleach water run into your black and gray tanks, those are getting a good cleaning as well. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The only proper way to make sure hw tank is full and to fill it is by opening the pressure relief valve on the water tank.
Do not use a tap !

Don't forget to reinstall your on board filter after system is sanitized.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Good response. The only thing I'll add is that some people (including me) will take the dewinterizing process as the time to sanitize their water system. So this would mean doing the bleach thing in your FW tank, letting it sit for a while after you run the bleach water through all the taps and the HWH, and then draining the FW tank and refilling it with rinse water, flush out the lines again. It's another step, but you'll have clean sanitized water lines when you're done. Plus if you let the bleach water run into your black and gray tanks, those are getting a good cleaning as well. Good luck!
To date, we haven't sanitized any of our RV water systems (we typically don't drink the water from the RV). This being our first year to de-winterize the Wildcat, I was planning to sanitize but got to wondering exactly why.

If we use chlorinated city water run through an RV water filter to flush out the antifreeze and then fill our tanks shouldn't that suffice? I've never considered sanitizing my home water system, although I'll admit it gets year round use with the exception of a few faucets.

I can certainly see the the need to have a sanitized water system...just wondering why adding bleach to an already chlorinated water supply is necessary.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
To date, we haven't sanitized any of our RV water systems (we typically don't drink the water from the RV). This being our first year to de-winterize the Wildcat, I was planning to sanitize but got to wondering exactly why.

If we use chlorinated city water run through an RV water filter to flush out the antifreeze and then fill our tanks shouldn't that suffice? I've never considered sanitizing my home water system, although I'll admit it gets year round use with the exception of a few faucets.

I can certainly see the the need to have a sanitized water system...just wondering why adding bleach to an already chlorinated water supply is necessary.
Sanidumps: Why Should you Sanitize Your RV Water System
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #7

One reason was for algae or slime in your fresh water tank?? EWWWW!!!! Adding water and finding out a boil water order is in effect? Wouldn't you check first??
Guess I'm a little more diligent than someone must have been.. I agree though if an odor or bad taste is present, then for sure.. Must also depend a little on how each person stores their trailer too... At the last corner leaving the campground at the highway we open the fresh tank drain too..

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
Site Team

[QUOTE=
If we use chlorinated city water run through an RV water filter to flush out the antifreeze and then fill our tanks shouldn't that suffice? . [/QUOTE]

There is not enough chlorine in city water to kill the mold and bacteria that will build up in the water tank when stored for several months. The chlorine solution used to sterilize is much stronger than public drinking water. If you want to see why it is needed, take an empty soda bottle rinse it out and fill half way with water. Put the top on it and leave it sit in your house garage for 3-4 months then open it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
WFD

Plus there is the fact that you are hooking up to numerous different water sources from different campgrounds, parks, municipalities, etc, and who knows what all those water supplies are like. So the sanitizing is just a good safety measure.
Also consider that your FW tank, and all your trailer plumbing sits sometimes for weeks or months at a time, sometimes in very hot weather, unlike your home supply which is normally always cold since it is coming from an underground source. There is much greater potential for algae growth or mold in a trailer plumbing system than a home system.
But having said that, I know countless number of people who never sanitize their RV water system, so it's up yo each individual what they feel more comfortable with.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Definitely sanitize your system with bleach as a preventative measure. When we purchased our last 5r, it apparently had not been sanitized and it took me almost a full summer and countless bleach treatments to clear up the odor. The worst part was for work we get 12.5% bleach solution which is what i used and is roughly 4x the strength of what you buy at grocery stores.

Sent from my SM-N910V
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yeah I'd sanitize regardless of drinking it or not!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #12

Thanks guys, I got it all done, and sanitized! Took me alittle bit, but it was my first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
obxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:36 AM   #13
Site Team

Practice makes perfect!
Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize