Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
trains99

Sewage on pass through floor

I have a sewer problem. About a week ago I started to smell sewage. I drained the tank and tried to fill it up with water. Took a flashlight to check how much water I was getting in the black tank. When I felt it was getting full, I heard a gurgling and stopped and dumped. Still a smell. When I crawled in my pass-through to follow the black pipe from the toilet to the start of the underbelly (where I believe the toilet pipe connects to the black tank) there is a small pool of sewer there. HELP There is no drips or evidence of water on the pipe.
trains94054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

I would carefully, with an assistant, fill the black tank thru the toilet, while your are laying near, but not under the suspect area. Use a flashlight and maybe an inspection mirror to watch for any signs of leaks. Could've been from how you got water into the tank? Were you using black tank flush or ?
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trains94054 View Post
I have a sewer problem. About a week ago I started to smell sewage. I drained the tank and tried to fill it up with water. Took a flashlight to check how much water I was getting in the black tank. When I felt it was getting full, I heard a gurgling and stopped and dumped. Still a smell. When I crawled in my pass-through to follow the black pipe from the toilet to the start of the underbelly (where I believe the toilet pipe connects to the black tank) there is a small pool of sewer there. HELP There is no drips or evidence of water on the pipe.
It could be a small leak running down the side of the PVC pipe from the flange at the toilet it self. Wipe the pipe dry and fill the or flush the toilet and see if the pipe is wet at all. Leaks love to travel. I can't see how your crawl space could get wet from the tank itself. You might have to drop the bottom or cut an access whole at the tank and feel the top and see if it is wet at all.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
trains99

Thanks for your help. I can't get under the suspected area. There is just a small hole where the toilet drainpipe is going to the holding tank. This may be beyond me.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #5

The use of a small mirror(dental), camera(viedo) would be helpful.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #6

If you overfilled the tank and the toilet down pipe isn't sealed to the tank it will come back up and could splash high enough to met the sub floor but the under side will be much wetter then the top. Also a crack in the tank close to the inlet could splash up water when flushing.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Do you have a idea how full the black tank was when you started smelling the odor? It may have been over full (been there done that). My vent pipe leaked and wetted the floor and the inside space of the wall. At my pass thru area I had to remove the wall and clean and clean to get rid of the smell. But in the long and lots of worser words, it worked. Needless to say I pay closer attention now.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trains94054 View Post
It would be helpful to responders to know that rig you have.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #9

Crusader 320 5w Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #10

FR replaced the entire roof on our trailer under warranty. On return from FR, we experienced grey water leaking on the ground. (The tank is located in the basement underneath the floor.) The dealer found that the vent pipe from the roof into the grey tank was installed incorrectly. The vent pipe pushes through a rubber gasket and the gasket/pipe connection was incorrectly sealed (friction fit). Dealer and all is good now.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I had the same leak on the shower grey water, just starting leaking because it was too full. I would assume the black tank vent is the same type of seal, friction fit so it doesnt break going down the road.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I had the same leak on the shower grey water, just starting leaking because it was too full. I would assume the black tank vent is the same type of seal, friction fit so it doesnt break going down the road.
I would guess the black tank is plumbed the same way
Old 02-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
trains99

Does any one have a schematic of the black water tank and how it attaches to the toilet? To edit my first message....the sewerage was on top of the tank.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #14

I had a similar situation. It was related to the black tank vacuum valve. Another symptom would be that the black tank doesn't drain as fast as it used to. The vacuum valve is located higher than the tank. Mine was located behind the shower handle. Good luck.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote