Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

Sewer

Has anyone every had the sewer smell inside of camper. If so what does it come from. I checked all around my camper nothing is openl, mine has been treated, so where does the smell come from. Did I miss something.

Tim Coltrain
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #2

When that happened to me it was the toilet bowl seal. The easy check is to see if there is water in the bowl and if not put some in and see if it stays. I cleaned it and reconditioned it and problem was solved. I also then ensured I did a good flush of the black tank.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #3

Had this also and found it to be my grey water tank from accumulated food debris. Multiple flushes of the tank solved the mysterious smell.
jjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

The tank is vented through the roof. A breeze in the right direction may be the cause.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Coltrain View Post
Has anyone every had the sewer smell inside of camper. If so what does it come from. I checked all around my camper nothing is openl, mine has been treated, so where does the smell come from. Did I miss something.

Tim Coltrain
Do you notice it more when you run a ceiling fan or microwave vent?

Here is a thread that has lots of good data.. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ell-73081.html

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:03 AM   #6

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
After you drain your grey tank, be sure to run enough water into the sink traps ... and the tub or shower trap as well ... so they can do their function and prevent gasses from coming back up. For sure, moving the rig around will probably empty the traps, and can't help but think that the mere process of dumping the grey tank COULD exert enough pull.
A cup of water in each drain should do the trick. But be sure to do ALL of them, they are individual. You know, the "U" or "J" shaped dohickey under a sink.
We also found a yellow "grey tank" treatment ... few ounces do the trick ... suspect it isn't too much more than a detergent.
Toilet is a different issue, the flapper or gate valve closes it off. If it holds any water, that proves that gas woudn't be backing up that way.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

What kind of toilet do you have? If you have a Dometic 300 series, search the forums for "Dometic 300 smell" and see what you get. Several of us had this problem and it was resolved with a simple call to Dometic.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #8

As others mention, make sure there is water in the toilet bowl.

ALSO - run water in all sinks, showers and drains for about 10 seconds to make sure there is water in the p-traps. All the bouncing around while on the road can slosh the water out of the p-traps.

Verify the roof vents are clear and not plugged, You may need to remove the vent covers and use a long snake to make sure the vents are clear.

If the odor continues, look for broken pipe connections, on the tanks.

If worst come to worst, replace the roof vent with a sewer Cyclone

WINTERIZING / DEWINTERIZING | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #9

Thank You

I just wanted thank everyone for there response to my question. I have looked and done all. My notes are made. I need to get a sewer vent, I need to always after travel fill all p traps. I did look under sink to find they vented the gray water to the outside of door. So far no more smell.

Thanks again
Tim Coltrain -N-Winterville

This week we in Pigeon Forge Tennessee Having fun.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #10

We are assuming that your grey water valves are closed,and only opened during servicing
Old 10-04-2016, 05:29 AM   #11

Smell

As someone suggested the "P" traps has flushed themselves out and needed to be fill with water. Once that was completed the smell went away.

On a different note. Once I got the camper home and back in storage I fill the gray water tanks with water. While filling tanks with water to do a flush and clean I smelt the vent and Oh my it had that terrible smell of sewer. So at least I know what it was and where it comes from. I had no idea gray water would smell like that. I never had that smell with my pull trailer Dutchman. At least I know what it was. I filled tank and put a pint of Chlorox in tank and will drain out today. Mayby that will help.

Tim
Old 10-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #12

I noticed in the Forest River download manual on their website,that it gives a ratio for Clorex to water to pour into the drains.I run that through prior to flush the grey tanks out.I made the mistate of leaving the grey water valves open and man that was a big mistake,oder,and flies can into the trailer for 2 days till we finally called tech services at forest river and then they walk us through the troubleshoot procedures.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #13

The water in the "P" traps will evaporate rather quickly, say two days of the RV sitting in warm weather without any A/C running. With the A/C running it would evaporate even quicker as the A/C draws all moisture from within an RV. Without water in the "P" traps all odors from the grey tank will make their way into the RV. I know friends who own RV's and when they dump at the campground dump station they consider their tanks clean. NOT. On my former TT I installed a tap on the sewer line coming from the house to the septic tank so that I could pump water from the grey and black tanks straight to that tap. When I return from a trip I clean out each tank at least twice or until I'm satisfied that they are clean. Any residue left in either tank will promote growth of stuff that will stink. I keep my unit hooked up to electric and water when at home so I go out often and run water into the sinks. I also check the toilet operation often, especially when I'm outside working .
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #14

You can not rinse these systems enough,I error on the side of mutiple rinse and dumps.I like the nozzle system in my black water tank you can really hear it roar,I sit down with a coffee and enjoy the morning while Mr.Magic does his thing....
Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #15

Have you checked your air inducer valves under the sinks? Remove, and shake, if the rattle valve is bad. I just replaced two of mine, no more odors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #16

If it is the toilet put some dish washing liquid in bowl. This will lubricate seal, it is thicker than water and can be used a a test. Worked for a while but my seals where old o I replaced them....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote