Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #1

Sewer Smell in New Cherokee Wolfpup 18TO

Last night, we set up about 9 PM, no issues. Everything smelled normal. No #2's in the toilet. This morning took the dog for a walk and when I returned, there is a strong sewer smell in the camper. We purchased in March and have done about 12 or 13 nights and never experienced anything like this before. We treated the tanks like usual, so not sure what is going on. I "think" that the smell might be coming from the grey tank. It's strongest by the kitchen sink, right when you walk in. I got up on the roof and nothing seems to be obstructing the vents. A few quick google searches show there might be an issue with the anti siphon trap vent device, but I have a hard time believing that's already dried up. We put a little bit of bleach in the sink with some water and hopefully that will get to work while we're out and about today. Any ideas?

-Stinkfest in the panhandle of Florida
Old 09-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

What do you have to keep sewer gases from coming up through the kitchen sink drain? A p-trap? If so, make sure it is filled with water.

If something else, IDK.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #3

Update, the p trap is filling with water, we used the sink all night. Right now we blocked the drain and are leaving for a few hours so with that knowledge, any other thoughts?

The smell appears to be going away with the drain plugged
josheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #4

I found, bouncing down the road tends to empty the p traps. First thing once set up is run water at all the sinks and shower. Seams to do away with any smells. There is a vent under the kitchen sink and bath room and they do get sticky and don't work sometimes.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I found, bouncing down the road tends to empty the p traps. First thing once set up is run water at all the sinks and shower. Seams to do away with any smells. There is a vent under the kitchen sink and bath room and they do get sticky and don't work sometimes.
The screw on vent under the sink was loose. Not sure if tightening that is what fixed it, but no more odors tonight.

Thanks for the reply
josheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

Good to hear!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
Site Team

The vent under the sink is the type that fails stuck open often. You probably freed it when you were working with it. It is not a bad idea to have an extra one with you in case you can not unstick it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #8

Also be sure you are providing a source for air inlet when you are running a powered vent fan.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee