Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
sewer tank flusher

im getting ready to move our 22' surveyor back home after being setup for 7 months. i want to flush the black tank with the flusher outlet, but have zero documentation in our stack of manuals on how it works. can someone tell me how this is done?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1738298046.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	22505  

oderus1671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
On our Rockwood 2902SS this hook up pipes into the black tank and back washes it, all you do is turn on the water and the black tank fills....very slowly. Just keep an eye on the tank level and when it gets full pull the valve to dump it. I have much better results with one of these. Flush King - Valterra FK-01 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World

2013 Prime Time 230 FBS
Days camped in 2013: April to November
Days camped in 2014...about 40
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
The black water flush provides the flush nozzles in the tank with water to spray the inside of the tank. Hook your "black" waterhose up to this inlet on your trailer and turn the water on..... be sure to let it run for a little as it will use the spray nozzles inside the black water tank, says in my manual to be sure to fill the tank at least 1/2 way before you empty. Keep your hose connected to your sewer. I filled my black tank up several times using this after each camping trip to make sure it cleaned the black tank from top to bottom.

Hope this helps.... it works, but takes a little time...

I also have a clear connector on my trailer so I can see when the water is clear..... once clear I know the tank is clean.
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
ok, i picked up a clear connector with the hose attachment by valterra, in addition to the tank flusher. Just a quick question... Ive seen a number of how to videos online since we got back home about the on-board flusher. The sticker on the side of the TT says black valve MUST be open when using the flusher, but the videos mostly say to hookit up with the valve closed, fill tank, and then open. Can this 'pressurize' the black tank?
So, at the campground, I ran the flusher on the side of the TT, as well as the flusher on the valterra clear fitting. Liquid ran clear, so I figured job well done. In the rush to get out by check-out, I assumed it was done. Got back home and noticed some "debris" still in the tank bottom when looking thru the hopper. Not a lot, but enough to see. I also did the ice/fabric softener trick just in case, as theres a rest area nearby with a dumping station, but temps werent warm enough to completely melt the ice during the 4 hour drive. How clean does a black tank have to be to safely winterize for the next few months? With this debris in there, should I keep water with antifreeze in the tank to keep it from drying out and hardening?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
There is a vent pipe at the top of the camper for your black tank. You can't pressurize it by over filling, but if you do overfill the black tank by waiting too long to pull the dump handle, the water/sewage will come out of the top of the vent pipe and all over you and the top of the camper. So if you are letting the water build up while using the tank cleaner, be sure not to wait TOO long, or have a helper reading the lights inside the camper so you know when it's about 2/3 and you can pull the valve.

If you've been camping 7 months, I would imagine it will take several (SEVERAL) cycles of running the tank cleaner, letting it fill a bit and dumping before you finally get the tank 100% clean.

If you've done an adequate job with the tank cleaner cycles, then you can literally go into the bathroom, open the flush valve on the toilet with the fan on and not get any odor coming up from the tank. That's our final test after we see the water running clear through the see-through connector.

I do keep a little antifreeze in the black tank - I pour about 1/2 gallon in the toilet, most with the toilet flush valve open, and the closing the valve and keeping a few inches of RV antifreeze on the top of the valve seal. Same goes for the grey water tank - I flush about 1/2 gallon in each drain to make sure it fills up the bend in the drain pipe and then some into the tank as well. Between 3 sink drains, 1 bathtub and 1 toilet I use 3 gal of RV antifreeze.
2012 Flagstaff V-lite 30 WTBS
2011 Ford Expedition
4 kids and a hubby & never enough time to camp!
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
ok, got the black tank clear and passed the 'sniff' test. now what can i do about the grey? water runs clear while running all cold water faucets, but when i close the dump valve and let sit for a while, i get some milky funk that comes first, then goes clear. how do i clean out the grey tank for winterizing? the misses bought some chemical product, but needs to be 80 degrees to work?!?! far from that right now in eastern nc!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by oderus1671 View Post
how do i clean out the grey tank for winterizing? the misses bought some chemical product, but needs to be 80 degrees to work?!?! far from that right now in eastern nc!
You can try to flush with the hose connection on the clear elbow. Too bad that you didn't spring for the 'Flush King' as it has it's own valve that would allow you to fill and flush the tank using the hose connection on it.

The other option would be to fill the gray tank by hose into the kitchen sink (or shower base) and dumping. You could put a cup of bleach in with the water and let it set for a few hours before dumping.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote