Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinc View Post
Just wondering how long is the longest time that went by before you emptied your black tank?
If you are wondering how long waste can sit in the tank before dumping, I think a long time month or more. I say this because we used our trailer as a temp office on our building site when we built our new house! It will act like a septic tank enough liquid and I added some septo bac to ensure bio digestion. Also make sure your venting (tank) is functioning properly or you might like the odours. I hope this helps in answering some of your concerns!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinc View Post
Just wondering, cause I am planning on going boondocking, but it may be a few weeks before I could empty it. If it will not work that long, I wont use the bathroom that weekend.
It will work a very long time if you don't use it

Seriously, every time it is used for #2, you should add at LEAST 1/2 gallon of water (minimum). You will need that water to keep solids from piling up at the toilet drop tube and blocking your dump valve.

If you have a 40 gallon black tank it is about 40 - 60 uses (approx 1/3 of the uses #2). 1 person, that is quite a bit. 4 people not so much...

Your gray water tanks will fill about 3 times as fast as your black tank.
MY trips to the dump station have always been gray water driven when I camp without hookups. Blue Boy comes with us everywhere. Never know when you might be needing it. Just modified it to add pneumatic tires to the tank to cut down on noise when towing it behind the pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user28947_pic5248_1348863721.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	23592   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0519.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	23593  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #13

Our TT was used by family during the holidays. Tank is about 2/3 full? It's been about 4 weeks now. When we get a decent weekend I'll tow it to a dump station.
I am not concerned.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
There are going to be a lot of variables in how long it takes to fill up a black tank. Different campers have different size tanks.

There is the size of the tank itself (how many gallons does it hold), how often are 'deposits' made (which can vary greatly depending on your choice of meals), how many campers are making deposits, the size of the deposits, and the amount of water used to flush with.
Very true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We usually have 3-5 people & not trying to conserve it fills in 3-4 days. & we dump before leaving.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Have just been told that a fellow left stuff in his black tank for 2 months and couldn't get it clean even using the tank flusher or the geo method and ended up putting about 3 cups of Super Klean in it and drove about 100 miles with the SK in it sloshing around and it broke everything loose inside the tank and flushed clean using the tank flusher. We use the tank flush every 3-4 days along with the geo method and never get real clear water even with the flusher going 20-30 minutes. Tried the Super Klean and about 5 gal water, drove 20 miles and tank ran dirty water for a while and then clear water, so the Super Klean must work pretty good. I will now use Super Klean and 3-5 gal water every time we move to a new campground, which is every 2 weeks. Will definitely use it the last day on the way home.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

we've gone many days before dumping the black tank.
and i refuse to you my blue tote tank for black water.
by the time it needs to be dumped, i should have passed dozens of dump stations.
i use my tote tank only for gray water.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have just been told that a fellow left stuff in his black tank for 2 months and couldn't get it clean even using the tank flusher or the geo method and ended up putting about 3 cups of Super Klean in it and drove about 100 miles with the SK in it sloshing around and it broke everything loose inside the tank and flushed clean using the tank flusher. We use the tank flush every 3-4 days along with the geo method and never get real clear water even with the flusher going 20-30 minutes. Tried the Super Klean and about 5 gal water, drove 20 miles and tank ran dirty water for a while and then clear water, so the Super Klean must work pretty good. I will now use Super Klean and 3-5 gal water every time we move to a new campground, which is every 2 weeks. Will definitely use it the last day on the way home.
This has been my experience too. Having spent a lot of time with the same group of "dry campers," horror stories about of folks trying to extend dumping by using very little water to flush and letting the tanks sit for weeks.

They never work right again and many just bite the bullet and get them replaced. If not it can take months of treatment with a bio treatment like RV-Digest-It to dissolve that caked on crud followed by hours of flushing.

Better to not risk it, but that is just one guy's opinion.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

Ok- what is super klean? laundry soap, dish soap, rv chemical.....I've never seen it before?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Super-Clean is a concentrated detergent like Simple-Green.
Pretty caustic stuff when concentrated and a good way to get the slime off the walls. It just takes a long time and lots of flushes. It will not break down solids like a Bio treatment (RV-Digest-It or Septic Tank Treatment). It is best used after all the solids are gone and you are working with just the sludge on the walls.

http://www.superclean.com/

Industrial Cleaner/Degreaser/Deodorizer*|*Quill.com

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #20

I think everyone wants to dump the tanks just before leaving the campground, but it's not always possible to keep them empty until you arrive at home. I've occasionally been unable to find a rest area on the way home and pulled over to use my own facilities. At home there's no place to dump, so now I feel better after reading the info on this topic. Usually, my camping trips aren't much more than a month apart, so I guess that helps, too.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote