Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #1

Shower Floods Floor

I have a 2013 Salem Villa Estate and am having an issue with the shower flooding the floor. I have attempted resealing/caulking around the shower walls with no success. I have opened the panel at the bottom of the shower floor and have checked the drain fittings and all appear good.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lee
SylLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #2

is the drain holes on the bottom channel for the shower door facing into the shower or out?
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #3

I would start by isolating the leak. Block the shower floor drain with a rag or plastic. Fill the shower floor basin with water to see if that is what is leaking. If it does not leak, slowly move up the walls and door with the shower head on, to locate the leak. WATER IS TRICKY!!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
WATER IS TRICKY!!
But predictable. It always flows down hill and takes the path of least resistance.

Eliminating the shower base as the source of the leak is without a doubt the first step. A crack in the pan could be the source of the water. I like the door installed incorrectly as a possible culprit too.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #5

on a 2013 i would be starting with the dealer
any attempt to repair it yourself will give the dealer the out that you modified it therefor the warranty is void
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Before caulking all over the place, have someone get in the showed and go thru a wet shower run while you stay outside and observer exactly where the water is coming from. Then take appropriate repair actions.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylLee View Post
I have a 2013 Salem Villa Estate and am having an issue with the shower flooding the floor. I have attempted resealing/caulking around the shower walls with no success. I have opened the panel at the bottom of the shower floor and have checked the drain fittings and all appear good.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lee
I had a similar problem in two different campers. The first turned out to be a very slow drip developed where the pex tubing is attached to the shower fixture in the hollow wall.
The second was the faucet itself has a very hard black "gasket" between the base and the shower/tub wall. The fit must be excellent to prevent water from going behind the gasket and into the wall. I used plumbers putty out of sight to stop the leak. These are easy checks and fix. If you want to prevent the travel and two weeks in dealers lot.
The round scuttle plate below provides access to the fittings. Sometimes it a access plate opposite side of wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	22065  
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

my leaky shower turned out to be the fixture itself, seems the thin plastic on the back of the fixture developed a thin crack... replaced fixture and no more problems! ;-)
2011: 365
2012: 365
Fulltimers
viperjpm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions

Again -- thanks for all the suggestions. I have finally got hold of Forest River and they gave me the number of a local repair place that will come to me (I do have to pay the service call charge -- but repairs are under warrenty). Have to get through the weekend since he can not get to me unitl Monday.

I tried going to the dealership but they were of no help at all!! Have not even had a return call from them -- had to call them 5 different times and talk to different people (never got my original sales rep or the service manager).. Beware of America Choice RV in Ocala, FL...

Lee
SylLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #10

When we were a few weeks into my 3 month "Retirement Tour" last year with our nearly new Sunseeker, I discovered a leak in the shower area. We were dry camping (ignore the pun) and overfilled the grey water tank, having about an inch of water in the shower. We were planning to leave the next morning so I didn't go dump. The next morning I found a drip at the wheel well. The floor plan has the shower over the wheel well. I removed the round access plate under the shower and found a threaded drain fitting wasn't quite tight enough. Access was tough as the tabs on the fitting were up against the shower floor, but I got it tight enough and have never had a leak since.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #11

water runs onto floor from shower

We bought a new Forest River Blueridge 3704 BH. We had water running down the exterior wall into the cargo bay. Forest River directed us to a repair shop in Ocala Florida. They made numerous attempts to repair the leak but made it worse each time and we ended up with water running onto the floor each time it was used. After tube after tube of caulking we looked at the problem closer and determined that the support under the shower was insufficient and with the weight of a person in the shower it was causing a gap to form between the shower base and the surround. We remedied the problem by taking a 1/2 " galvanized pipe, bending it to fit above the shower surround and mounted it to the walls. We then hung a shower curtain up and our water problem was solved. Still trying to figure a way to brace up the bottom to take away the stress on the drain pipes but not a lot of room to work with being that the converter is directly below the shower drain. As long as you have movement that separates the base from the surround water will always find it's way through. Caulk might hold for a short while but a shower curtain will direct all water to the basin floor and down the drain. Hope this is helpful.
fulltime5ver is offline   Reply With Quote