Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Shower leaks

So....I've headed out in my new to me, 2012 Rpod 171, which I purchased off an RV lot. The first trip was uneventful, (fortunately) and was just for a couple of days. The last trip was for a week, and I wanted to try out the shower. After stepping out of the shower, I saw water, everywhere, on the floor by the tt door. I wiped it up with a towel, and more just poured out from under the shower area. I went outside, and saw water dripping outside as well from underneath. Fellow nearby told me to drill a hole, through the membrane underneath, so I did and water poured out of the hole. I pulled off the vent under the shower sill and looked underneath, and there was no connection between the shower drain and the trap. There was a cut-out under the trap full of water, so I felt in it, and found the broken coupling.
I should mention that when I was looking at the trailer on the lot, the floor of the shower had a large crack in it. It went all the way through. I told the salesman that if I bought the Rpod I wanted the shower floor replaced. He said they had a guy that could repair it good as new, and when I went to pick it up, it looked great.
I stopped into a RV lot in the area I was at (they sell Rpods) and told them what happened. Main service guy, came out from the shop, and explained to me that it does happen when there is not enough support under the shower floor. The floor flexes but the couplings do not, and crack or break. He said they have on many occasions had to build supports under the shower floors to prevent this from happening. He also told me to go back to where I bought it, and have them deal with it, as the entire bottom membrane has to be removed, and any Styrofoam insulation that got wet, has to be replaced. I've emailed the RV place where I made the purchase, and have an appointment next week. I can't help but think if the shower floor had been replaced as I first suggested, the tech would have seen the issue and it would have been repaired, before I drove the Rpod off the lot.
Anyone heard of this before? Thoughts?

Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #2

Just more "quality" repair work done by a dealer. Either get used to sub-par workmanship or do your own repairs and know it's done right. I feel for ya though. :-((
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #3

Just a follow up. Drain issue has been resolved. New trip installed, blocks installed under
shower floor for more support. Membrane re and re, and bottom insulation was air dried by hot weather we've recently had.
I'm heading out in it tomorrow for the weekend. Then next weekend back out for 12 days. Should have a good test of everything. There was no charge. (Rightfully so.)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Glad you got it resolved and thanks for posting back a good outcome.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, show, shower