Old 04-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
Retired

Shower Stall out of plumb

At first I thought our shower door was a bit out of square but as you can see our shower stall frame is out of plumb about 3/8" from bottom to top. Any suggestions and/or tips as to rectifying the problem. It is out of warranty so the project is a DIY.
Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower stall frame.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	104682 shower stall frame

Click image for larger version

Name:	shower door.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	104683 shower door

Happy Trails

MainelyUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #2

Welcome to the real world of RV building excellence. Are you having problems with leaks, door not closing correctly, etc, or are you like me and notice when things just aren't right.

Unfortunately, you may take this apart only to find that the pieces that were required to be cut were in fact cut wrong, and you may not be able to make it right with your current pieces.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
Retired

thanks for the reply....the major challenge is that the shower door is difficult to close/open...maybe solution is total replacement or keep using a butter knife at the bottom of the door.

HappyTrails
MainelyUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #4

Before you decide its the shower door check to see if the wall of the unit is square to the shower pan. It may be the wall is out of square and the fix would be to shim shower enclosure to square things up. with that said door sure sounds easier good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

We had the same issue, but fortunately for us it was still in warranty.
That said the dealer managed (somehow, I wasn't in the camper to see what he did) to adjust it so that the door at least closes properly now.
The frame is still definitely out of square, but not enough to affect the door closing.
I think that the frame pieces were just cut wrong in ours, and fixing it 100% would require replacing the entire frame, but I'm happy enough now that we have it so the door opens and closes without catching on the frame.
As others have suggested I'd definitely recommend checking exactly what is out of square. Use a good carpenters square (maybe in combination with a level and/or a plumb-line) to check what's out of square. You'll just need to account for the camper not being perfectly level and compare one thing against another.

Good luck
Old 04-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #6

Maybe that is why the 2016 models have the "Curved Track Shower"? If the Door is square then it can be either side or both not square or the door may be installed crooked on the hinges! Youroo!!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:57 PM   #7

Maybe that is why the 2016 models have the "Curved Track Shower"? If the Door is square then it can be either side or both not square or the door may be installed crooked on the hinges! Youroo!!

my husband and I have the corner shower and it fits ok, we have looked at the new campers with the new Curved Track shower, and I even stepped inside and closed the door and it is much smaller than the corner shower we have in our 2015 Camper. to the point that I could not raise my arms up to my head as if I was washing my hair. I wouldn't want those new curved showers because of that. the best bet would be to take to the dealer you bought it from or one near you and asked them to fix it or replace it and you pay the cost. (check with your RV insurance and see if they might pay part of it too
Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 AM   #8

I have a similar problem, but not near as bad as yours. Door was difficult to open/close as it hit the frame at the outside bottom of the door. I played around with the top part of the enclosure, trying to see if I could maybe loosen things up and pull it back plumb, but there doesn't seem to be any "adjustment" ability. So here's what I did:

The door's pivot point is a pin that goes down into the frame. There is a piece of plastic that it goes through; it supports the door and the door turns on it. You should be able to raise the door, sliding the pin up through its hole, about 1/4' or so. I got some 0.040" and 0.020" plastic sheet (hobby shops sell it) and cut a "square C" shaped piece out of both sizes of plastic. This needs to be "C" shaped because it needs to encircle the pin. I then lifted both the door and the existing piece of plastic that it rode on and slid the "C" shaped pieces under the existing plastic piece. This raised my door 0.060" and allowed the door to close.

The door sweep doesn't do much anymore except at the far end of the door, but as discussed in another thread, it's not a big deal.

I've added a pic that maybe helps. You're basically shimming up the door support. Use enough "C" pieces of whatever sizes you need and/or can get under the existing support. Also, you may end up having to cut some of one of the "tabs" of the "C" off if you can't get it all the way around the pin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shower door repair.pdf (104.3 KB, 33 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower