Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #1

Shower Surround turning Yellow

The upper part of the shower surround in our 2012 Flagstaff Microlite 25DS is turning yellow from the sun shining through the skylight overhead. Is there any way to remove the yellow short of painting the surround or replacing it? (I will be covering the skylight in the future to stop further yellowing)
rwhmtnfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #2

The yellowing is caused by the chemicals leaching out of the plastic from exposure to the sone and time. I think painting is the only way to cover that yellow. Consider making a contrasting strip around the surround if you paint to cover the yellow. I'm sure other Frogs will know of some other solution.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Sad to hear. Thanks for sharing your problem. I will have to get a cover for my skylight or add an internal shade. Some of the others on here have made a nice cover out of perforated metal. I keep my rig under a large covered structure and out of the sun, so I don’t think its a problem until we head out more often for long term camping.

How long did it take for yours to fade?
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #4

Every RV with that type of plastic used for anything, discolors quickly. Especially in the Southwest. We always use some type of film or sunscreen on all skylights. Shower discolors within a year anyway. Doesn't really bother us. Just the nature of the beast. Just don't understand why the manufacturers insist on using these type of plastics. Well I do, $$$$$.

Some friends didn't like their discolored shower, so they painted with plastic paint. Looked great for about a year, then started coming off. Yuck. So we just live with the slightly yellow color
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Are you sure it is yellowing from the sinlight or are you in a location with a lot of sulfer or iron in the water?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #6

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. The trailer is 6 1/2 years old, stored outdoors in a dry, sunny climate. Started yellowing last fall and got progressively worse this summer. Have sprayed the affected areas with hydrogen peroxide to see if that will bleach it out, but not holding out much hope. Guess we'll live with it though it bugs me no end to see it. I'll post an update if I find a solution other than painting.
rwhmtnfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

I had a cheap surround in a bathroom in our house. There was a window in the bathroom and within 3-4 years we had a perfect diagonal stripe across one panel of the surround that matched the sunlight coming in thru the window. RV's use that same cheap surround that I used.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower